14:49

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Where to go ????

Old 19th February 2006, 20:46
Station Manager

Smile Where to go ????

O.K I have at last got some time off work next weekend,so i am off on a trip,but i can make my mind up where to go.
I can go to Didcot not far from home,or i can go further north or south,to say Eastlegh or Crewe,Doncaster,i just cant decide so the qestion is. where do you think i should go and why.
All the best Ian.

Old 20th February 2006, 00:11

How about Peterborough? I understand that it still sees a few locos on the stabling point. And there's cross country traffic as well.
Old 20th February 2006, 11:21

Tamworth?

Two main lines - WCML down below and X-Country up top
Old 20th February 2006, 17:17

Yeah, Tamworth is a good idea. I always meant to go myself, but never got round to it.
Old 20th February 2006, 17:34
Station Manager

Good idea's,i was told Bartenby in linconshire was not to bad at the weekend,anyone been up there.
All the best Ian.
Old 5th March 2006, 10:09

Didcot is good on a weekday, especially a Tuesday or Thursday, with plenty of action and opportunity to take photographs. It is also a pleasant location and the station has a good buffet which has long opening hours and supplies hot food - essential at this time of the year.
Willesden Junction can also be good on a weekday but it is exposed and there is nowhere near for hot food or drinks and photography can be difficult from the footbridge that runs over all the tracks. Old Oak Common depot is a 10 minute walk away and by walking along the canal towpath at the side of the depot you can pick off a lot of stuff with binos.
Since Christmas I have also tried Rugby and Leicester. Rugby is a cold hole though it does have a buffet supplying hot food and drinks. I was disappointed with the number of locos I saw. Leicester is similar though there at least you get a constant procession of MML HST's and Meridians (if you need any!). And you can always gaze fondly at the crumbling wreck of 58005 on the depot.
Eastleigh I have not visited for some years but I am told it can be hit and miss.
If you want constant action try London Bridge or Clapham Junction in London. Most of what you see will be units but plenty of them and quite a few different classes, and you may well get the occasional loco to boot.
Hope this helps.
Brian
Old 6th March 2006, 16:34

Did you eventually go anywhere then Ian?
Old 17th March 2006, 17:53
Station Manager

Hi Trev,no work got in the way again!!!!!!,so i am still hoping to get out one weekend,if any one would like to join me you be very welcome,All the best,Ian.