18:13

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Nuneaton Abbey Street.

Old 9th June 2010, 11:22
Registered Member

Nuneaton Abbey Street.

Now, do any of our senior members/enthuiasts remember Nuneaton Abbey Street when it was in its heyday ?
That was a busy busy place, not only did you have the station with trains for Birmingham one way and Leicester, and the East coast the other way, also not immune to an Eastern region engine on the passenger workings, usually a B1. But it also had a very busy Abbey Street yard plus another branch line coming from the East midlands coalfields and trains of coal coming over there nine times out of ten pulled by a Midland 4F who then needed a banker up through Arley tunnel which was usually a "Super D", and back at Abbey Street there was also Judkins Quarry sidings.
Then trains coming up from the Trent valley station down below, both goods and passenger and Heavy ballast trains coming up from the North End Yard down below.
4472 has been "across the top" a couple or three times at Nuneaton on specials.
It was a marvellous, busy place and the smell of the "Bituman" plant at Judkins "wafting" through the air made the atmosphere even better.
A truly industrial, busy, genuine typical British Railways goods yard.

Now apparently.......NOTHING ! It has all gone, even the signalbox was set alight after closure by local vandals.

But does anyone remember it like me ?

Old 9th June 2010, 21:20

Some of the station buildings are still there.
Old 10th June 2010, 05:54
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblewrap View Post
Some of the station buildings are still there.
Really ? Well at least some of it has survived mate, but of course I have moved to my present location now (Family reasons) so I dont know a lot of what is happening around Nuneaton.

But I have my memories of the town and its railway...such a busy place it used to be, both at Trent Valley and Abbey street.