11:52

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

DB No Longer up to Scratch

Old 7th September 2014, 09:44

DB No Longer up to Scratch

I've noticed recently that DB is not offering the level of efficiency or service of previous years.
Due to the problems and delays on the A5 autobahn I often use DB ICE instead of hiring a car to get to meetings on time, but have recently been disappointed by late trains and missed connections.
This combined with people standing for much of the journey blocking the gangways and my having to prise people out of my reserved seats, the experience is not the delight it once was.
I suppose it's an economic thing that comes from cost cutting but still not what I expect from DB.
Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me being a grumpy old sod?

Old 17th September 2014, 10:28

Somewhat delayed reply as I've not been on the Forum much at all recently. First of all I've never travelled on an ICE but I've made two visits to Germany this summer and did quite a bit of research on train fares. I was surprised how expensive they were. I don't think I'm missing anything because the fares I found on the machines in the stations exactly matched those I found on the internet - unless there are any "special" fares available which I couldn't find. I did ask a question a while back on another part of the Forum about distances between German stations, which I've been unable to find.

What I did notice was the impressive punctuality of German train departures, whether ICE or local. However, sadly I'm not surprised to learn of your experience on board. It seems that in this country and in France, Germany etc the only priority is screwing more and more money out of the passenger. Shocking that the service on an ICE has so deteriorated though.
Old 19th September 2014, 22:33

I agree on the train prices, €90 return Frankfurt to Baden Baden is a bit steep for standard class, especially when connections are missed due to late trains.
Normally not a problem but it has happened too often and on one occasion resulted in my getting a taxi to complete the trip to the airport in time to make my flight.
I'll continue to use the DB though and report back any improvements I experience.