21:36

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Another Train Spotter from Way Back.

Old 15th December 2012, 04:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Fox Phil View Post
Hi Dave and a warm welcome from me too. Hope you enjoy the company on this forum. I too was a late 50's early 60's spotter in the days when times were a changing! Steam was being neglected for the cleaner easier diesels!! Lots of new experimental locos were being seen taking over from the "old ways". I guess it was sad to see so many fine engines going to the cutters, but at the same time there was an air of excitement with the spotting of Deltic's, Peaks, and other fine diesels. Having said that I am a steam die-hard and there is where I belong!
Enjoy and have fun on here
All the best
Phil
Hi phil, pleased I never saw those great locos at the end of steam, I think it was a disgrace to treat steam locos like that after 150 years of great service.

Never saw a diesel back home not even on the trip from B'Ham to Tilbury Docks in 1957, learned a lot about British diesels from books, mags and DVDs, like you I am a steam addict through and through.

Old 15th December 2012, 09:51

Talking about smell, anyone remember the glue factory in Derby? You'd be on the bus station and this miasma would be floating across. Wonder what today's prissy folk would make of it.
Old 15th December 2012, 09:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyvern View Post
Talking about smell, anyone remember the glue factory in Derby? You'd be on the bus station and this miasma would be floating across. Wonder what today's prissy folk would make of it.
I like to see new (to me) words, and "miasma" is a good one for today.
Old 15th December 2012, 13:07

Hi Dave

As you say yuk !!! You have reminded ne that the horse knackers yard was involved in glue making. If I remember, although we could see the High Level LMS line we had to use binoculars to see the numbers. |As far as the pub - unfortunately I was too young to drink !!

Regards

Tony