14:09

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

manchester victoria

Old 23rd January 2010, 13:05

They are currently working on refurbishment of Victoria, but they've just discovered a mass grave underneath the station so I'm not sure if that could delay works.

Old 25th January 2010, 11:23

Isn't there a river running under it too?
Old 25th January 2010, 17:02

The Irwell does pass close by but I think it is as the west end of the station where exchange was.
Old 25th January 2010, 17:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbyteacup View Post
Isn't there a river running under it too?

Yes the River Irk,from what I can gather the river was diverted into a culvert when the station was extended,this culvert then comes out into the Irwell near the site of Exchange station as SFE states.
The general concenus is that it runs under the station concourse and taxi rank.

Cheers John

Last edited by JEB-245584/2; 25th January 2010 at 17:47. Reason: spelling
Old 25th January 2010, 19:25

Both the Irk and the Roch were culverted and join the Irwell adjacent to the old Exchange Station. By the direction from which they enter the Irwell, both must pass under the "old" Victoria Station.
Old 31st March 2010, 21:08

according to network rail,work is finished on platform 2 at vic,platform 1 will be finished in a april/may,new wind break shelters are being put on platforms 3-6 this year,new lighting on the same platforms next year-this is the urgent cash injection provided by the government following man vic being voted worst station in the country,the toilets and the tiled rail map aswell as the ornate rail destinations at the front of the station will also be spruced up,and finally the roof will be replaced,,its nice victoria is getting much needed money being spent on it-especially as vic goes under the wires by 2014 and then the northern hub proposals,according to the latter it says 2 new platforms will be provided for terminating trains from the humber,now im guessing trains from that direction will enter the station via miles platting bank,theres no room for platforms at that end,theres vacant land at the old exchange station site,maybe plans are to send them via piccadilly then the ordsall chord?any one wanting more info on northern hub proposals should ring network rail and request more info,i did and they sent me a bumper 85 page booklet with all the plans-great reading with lots of maps and new routes.
Old 31st March 2010, 22:08

REPLACING viccy roof? I hope they have a design similar to the old one and not a concrete slab on stilts like the rest of the station!
Old 1st April 2010, 21:55

go on yahoo and type-manchester victoria new roof,then click on 30 million for manchester victoria roof,its similar to the boomerang shape of earlier plans,would much prefer reglazing of the old roof,but then again its money..or lack of it.
Old 2nd April 2010, 20:24

Lots been said regarding old and new Manchester Victoria. Do any members remember the manic couple of hours after midnight when most of the morning news papers were printed in Manchester,and platform 11 was filled with all manner of van from Red Bank, News paper trains departed to far and wide, some had men travelling on them sorting the papers to be dropped of at the various towns en route.A gang used to travel down from York ever night I think they came from Darlington,doze on way down supper in pub and work home sorting
All the empty vans would be worked back to Red Bank during the morning. Sadly all gone long since but an aspect of Victoria not many people were aware of ,it was all done during the night. Jim.
Old 2nd April 2010, 20:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog View Post
The date is 03/12/09

Vic is an awful place,the oldham loop has gone and the metrolink upgrade begun.

It has recently been voted worst station in the country

I had to use the gents, what an experience......

Can pull it down for me.
you haven bieng to wakefield kirkgate then thats the worst