06:39

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Two New class 70"s at stanlow oil refinery cheshire

Old 25th March 2010, 23:52

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
They have been running for a couple of years now. There are two return trips a day. The coal is brought down from Scotland to Ellesmere Port by sea.
sounds interesting!! ive not been down to the Docks at Ellesmere port for while,last time i went down they were repairing the tracks and new level crossings!! realy good place to view the engines up close there......

Old 31st March 2010, 18:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxokid View Post
So far ive seen freightliner class 66 on this Ellesmere port run,each week!! until the other day when i got close up on class 70.......
These trains are booked to be 66/70, so it will usually be a 70 subject to availability.
Old 19th April 2010, 16:30

Last time I went to Ellesmere Port(EP) was in the new year of 2002.
I was the guard on the LPG train from Humber oil to EP.
I signed on at 0245hrs and walked over through HM yard with the driver to relieve the Gas Tanks at at HM signal HM181.
We were routed via the L and Y through Hebden Bridge through Man Vic (0500) accross the Moss and made a left turn at the Vulcan Foundry, through Warrington, reaching Helsby Box at about 0545hrs.
On arrival at EP we propelled the 12 x101ton Tanks into the Stanlow Gas discharge facility.
We had then to pick up a VGA barrier waggon, attach to the train and place 6 tanks in each road, with the front buffers over a yellow line painted on the floor.
We applied 3 hand brakes on the trucks then it was home time.
The VGA was placed back in its siding, we then crossed over the main line into the sidings near EP depot ( closed.)
Then away to stable the loco at Warrington, then first train back to Manchester from WBQ Station.
There we caught the Airport back to Dewsbury and back to the Mill in a Greenline Taxi. Then sign off and go back to bed.
A set of men signed on at HM @ 1015hrs to travel pass to WBQ, go on the depot and pick up the loco then LD/G to Stanlow to bring out the empty tanks.
Then Depart EP at 16:02 arrive back at HM at 19:15hrs to be reld by Immingham men.
This job lasted from 1995 to 2002.
Alas now like owt else the tank waggons have been cut up and EP LPG has been demolished.
We normally had a bouncing Cl. 56 on this job.
If the driver smoked, I went in the back cab out of the way.