17:07

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

New To Forum

Old 16th May 2015, 22:53

New To Forum

Hello my name is Mark, just wanted to introduce myself. l have not been spotting since 1989, and for sure, there has been alot of changes ! Great to see so many preserved locomotives and private railways. To see so many of them back in active service was something you just did not see in my day.
l wonder if someone would be good enough to answer a few questions l have ? Why has a 73 been painted in Caledonian sleeper livery ? l understand 47237 is WCR loco now, but does anyone know where it is now ? It was my last remaining 47 that l never got.
What is the best way to get cheap rail tickets, Trainline ? l know the answer to my questions are on the internet somewhere, but just trying to take in all the changes, quite a bit to digest ! Thankyou.

Old 17th May 2015, 10:58

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum.
I don't know about the 73 in Caledonian Sleeper livery, but I have seen 47237. As you say, 47237 is a WCRC loco so it is nominally based at Carnforth, but as it is main line operational, it could be seen virtually anywhere on the network. The attached photo is from Aviemore in 2012, waiting to take over the 'Royal Scotsman' following an overnight stop on the Strathspey Railway.
Other photos in the gallery include locations from Dainton Bank (Devon) to Derby, Ribblehead, Tamworth & Crewe

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47237 at Aviemore. 13.5.12.jpg (111.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by TRP; 17th May 2015 at 15:26.
Old 17th May 2015, 13:03

Hi Mark & welcome to the forum.

As you suggest, trying to get cheap rail tickets in this country is a minefield at the moment. One trick that many people are using is several split tickets to complete a journey. There's a website here....See www.raileasy.com & click 'trainsplit' at the top. This doesn't alter the train you travel on, it just means you have to carry more tickets....well worth it for saving the money.

For broad advice on buying tickets, Rail magazine's Christian Woolmar recommends "The Man in Seat 61" website.

Linky here...http://www.seat61.com/UK-train-travel.htm

Best wishes, BW

Last edited by Beeyar Wunby; 17th May 2015 at 13:11.
Old 17th May 2015, 18:38

Thanks for the advice.
Old 17th May 2015, 18:55

Tony,
Would not let me reply to your post for some reason so added it here. l was hoping to track down 47237 as WCR is banned at the moment. The 73 perplexed me; l saw it in Rail Illustrated for June, page 24. It says 73966 ( 73005 ) is now in Caledonian sleeper blue livery, so l was wondering in this is just a reference to the blue colour ? For the life l me, could not work this out because they only have a 600hp diesel engine.
Old 17th May 2015, 21:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1972
The 73 perplexed me; l saw it in Rail Illustrated for June, page 24. It says 73966 ( 73005 ) is now in Caledonian sleeper blue livery, so l was wondering in this is just a reference to the blue colour ? For the life l me, could not work this out because they only have a 600hp diesel engine.
Google is your friend. See this link.. http://westhighlandline.org.uk/index...-sleeper-train

BW
Old 17th May 2015, 22:41

Thanks for the link, nice to know l was not going mad after all !
Old 18th May 2015, 16:06

Hi Mark
Welcome to the forum
GBRF re-engined class 73/9s are due to work the Scotish legs of the Caledonian sleepers. - single handed to Fort William and Aberdeed and double headed to Inverness

Cheers Alanw