09:25

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Monorail crash

Old 3rd October 2006, 20:51

a thought

Maybe 'regulatory encoragement' to those airlines that connect from provincial UK airports to overseas 'hubs' to operate dedicated - and branded - rail services. For example, plnning a trip to Jakarta, I discover that Emirates fly from several UK destinations to their Dubai hub that could be centralised on Gatwick. KLM or Air France could make better use of the tunnel link etc.

Just a thought over a glass of plonk or three.

Old 3rd October 2006, 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitgums
Maybe 'regulatory encoragement' to those airlines that connect from provincial UK airports to overseas 'hubs' to operate dedicated - and branded - rail services. For example, plnning a trip to Jakarta, I discover that Emirates fly from several UK destinations to their Dubai hub that could be centralised on Gatwick. KLM or Air France could make better use of the tunnel link etc.
I think this is what's known as 'joined up thinking'. Good idea Fruitgums.
Old 4th October 2006, 10:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains
You're right Trev. I think Lufthansa hired an ICE train because it was more economical for some journeys. I will have a search and see what details I can come up with.
John.
Sorry about the delay in replying but this is what I came up with:-
The concept whereby the German national airline, Lufhansa and the German Railways, Deutsche Bahn (DB), co-operate is known as "AIRail". Originally a dedicated train in special livery was used but this was deemed too expensive so now normal service trains are used. "AIRail" operates between the main stations in Köln and Stuttgart and the airport station at Frankfurt. These services are operated by ICE high-speed trains and so the journey times by rail between these points is faster than using an equivalent air feeder service. The system enables airline passengers to actually check-in for their Worldwide flights at the railway stations in Köln and Stuttgart rather than wait until they get to Frankfurt Airport.
A similar system known as "Flyrail" operates between many railway stations in Switzerland and the airports at Zürich and Geneva but this does not offer a fast more enviromentally-friendly feeder service. It is simply a convenient way of checking-in at the railway station and then getting the railway company to carry your heavy luggage for you.