09:56

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Unusual Motorway Restaurant

Old 7th October 2006, 21:50

Unusual Motorway Restaurant

The A2 motorway services at Erstfeld in Switzerland will soon have an unusual temporary restaurant. Two Swiss railway restaurant cars have been transported to the service area together with a specially painted Ae 610 (formerly Ae6/6) electric loco and a converted baggage car. The loco and cars have been placed on their own piece of track in a landscaped area. The converted baggage car is positioned between the two restaurant cars and acts as an entrance hall. As well as providing eating facilities the loco and cars will also act as an advert for the 125th Anniversary of the Gotthard Railway next year.
It could only happen in a railway-loving country like Switzerland.

Pictures here Click on the story "Das Rätsel um die Ae 610 492 ist gelöst" which means "The mystery of Ae 610 492 is solved"

Old 7th October 2006, 23:01
Station Manager

John, Whats the story in the 'Ausserordentliche Mengen Neuschnee in der Leventina' write up? It looks like a snow train that got into trouble.
Syd
Old 8th October 2006, 10:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY011
John, Whats the story in the 'Ausserordentliche Mengen Neuschnee in der Leventina' write up? It looks like a snow train that got into trouble.
Syd
No it wasn't in trouble Syd. The snowblower was having a rest after a hard shift.
Apparently on the night of 19/20th February 2006 there was an unusually high amount of new snowfall in the Leventina valley on the south ramp leading up to the Gotthard Tunnel. (This is the Italian speaking part of Switzerland) The snow was so heavy that they had to call on the services of the big snowblower from Erstfeld on the north ramp (German speaking area)
I assume that the snow-clearing equipment normally based on the south ramp was inadequate.
Old 8th October 2006, 10:41
Station Manager

Thanks John. I am not able to read the words, but the phops are great. I have added it to my favorites and will keep an eye on the site.
Syd
Old 8th October 2006, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY011
Thanks John. I am not able to read the words, but the phops are great. I have added it to my favorites and will keep an eye on the site.
Syd
There are a number of language translation sites on the internet such as Babelfish where you either "copy and paste" the text or enter the URL of the website you want to translate. These translation websites don't tend to do a very good job with railway subjects as there are too many unusual and technical words

I can't speak any foreign languages fluently but I can generally get by using a combination of words/phrases I have picked up, foreign language dictionaries and translation software.
Old 8th October 2006, 19:55
Station Manager

Thanks again john, Ill give it a try
Syd
Old 8th October 2006, 21:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains
..........I can't speak any foreign languages fluently .........
My wife says that I have been too critical of myself as she reckons I can speak RUBBISH really well
and what's even more impressive is that she can understand it