00:49

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Expert advice (hints and tips)

Old 6th February 2006, 22:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulncc1705
Oh and what colour do I paint the pigeons?
In 2mm scale, and assuming you want to be able to see them, I'd go for day-glo yellow!

Old 8th February 2006, 07:19

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulncc1705
Trev .Oh and what colour do I paint the pigeons?
Ha ha I shouldn't worry about painting the pigeons as you will have shooed them away before they can make a mess of your muticoloured concrete (obviousely not mixed by a trades qualified builder)
cheers
Dave.
Old 8th February 2006, 22:11

Has enybody tried using ready ballasted foam underlay???
Old 8th February 2006, 23:19
Station Manager

Denis,
Yes I have used Gaugemaster ready ballasted foam underlay. I found it easy to use and had no problems with turnouts. I just ran the underlay to follow the straight run then cut the turnout to fit. Don't pin the track down to hard as it will distrought the ballast. The trains run a lot quieter than on the hand ballasted track If you look at the photos of my layout in my gallery, there is a shot of the track all fitted with the Gaugemaster ready ballasted foam underlay. Pick up any photo by DSY011 and view mbr's gallery.
Syd
Old 9th October 2006, 22:28

When ballasting track the most common method is to use loose stone-like material from one of the many scenic material manufacturers held together with diluted PVA glue. The problem with this method is that it dries like concrete and tends to increase the noise levels.
Syd's successful solution to the noise problem was to use Gaugemaster ready-ballasted foam underlay.
Has anyone tried ballasting their track using the loose stone method but with diluted Latex glue (such as Copydex) instead of the PVA?
I believe that the latex glue stays semi-flexible and helps to reduce the noise.
Old 10th October 2006, 00:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains
Has anyone tried ballasting their track using the loose stone method but with diluted Latex glue (such as Copydex) instead of the PVA?
Neither. I'm still terrified of gluing up the point blades!

I do think that a latex glue would remain a bit more pliable though. I can still remember rolling latex glue into little balls and throwing them around the classroom in my schooldays. It would be an interesting experiment on a small section of track. Anything to reduce the noise.
Old 10th October 2006, 09:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev
........... I can still remember rolling latex glue into little balls and throwing them around the classroom in my schooldays..............
Me too.

I am going to give it a try on some spare pieces of board/track. If it looks OK I will take the plunge and ballast a section on my actual layout to test for noise reduction.
Old 10th October 2006, 19:12

I've seen cork sheet strips in the adverts. Is this to go under the track as an alternative to foam, with the ballast chippings poured and glued over them?
Old 10th October 2006, 21:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Cat
I've seen cork sheet strips in the adverts. Is this to go under the track as an alternative to foam, with the ballast chippings poured and glued over them?
Yes, most modellers used cork until the various foams came along. As well as providing a good base for the track the cork (with the edges chamfered) also gives "depth" to the ballast which, as you say, is glued over it.
Old 10th October 2006, 21:43
Station Manager

When using modeling plaster, put some food coloring in the water before wetting the plaster. A green or mix a brown and it will save you having to cover all those little white spots. Saves a lot of time. Poster paint watered down also gives a good covering. It also helps when a hill is damaged as there is no white showing from either the top or the exposed under side
Syd