09:58

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Help - - Disabled travel

Old 26th October 2011, 20:13

Help - - Disabled travel

OK Guys need help

I use a wheelchair or mobility scooter and I am planning a big trip but am finding some companies want you to register the scooter and demand 24 pre booking of travel
So does anyone know which companies do and don't, I am getting the run around from EMT who want me to ring an expensive phone line just to register

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 27th October 2011, 20:46

OK
Been on the phone

Trains are only allowed to carry 2 passengers in wheelchairs
TOC's are not obliged to carry scooters but they are wheelchairs
so if I ride on my scooter and there is already one wheelchair user on the train I Can and Will be taken off the train if someone else in a wheelchair gets on the train.

This is AFTER BOOKING 24 hours in advance

So it could mean being taken off the train somewhere where I cannot get back on a train for in excess of 24 hours (wheelchairs and scooter users MUST pre-book travel by 24 hours) without any support and as if I was in the wrong

SO I am really P**d off I want to travel to places where my car and chair can't really get me - I use a scooter as I have exercise intolerance problems due to one of my illnesses
and the use of a wheelchair for more than a couple of hours is painful

So
guys can you help me suggest some places where I can get to see places like loco stable points etc.
I've got plenty of time (1 week) and can manage Hotels for 1 night at a time etc. for long runs like Scotland or Kent please point some places out for me
I do plan on London by train and taxi as there is no other way of getting to the London Stations
but I especially need parking for disabled (motability car) preferably free - like some counties give zero road tax disabled cars not to far way from places of interest

looking forward to your help

Old 4th November 2011, 21:06

im sorry i cant help you about getting about or interesting places to visit,t []he reason i am replying is-disabled people in britain are treated like second class citizens,my mother doesnt use the train but she used to use the manchester metrolink..regularly on her small mobility scooter,since the new smaller trams were introduced they have been banned,many disabled people use these scooters and its a disgrace that all modes of public transport in this day and age dont/or cant accomodate them,at least in the old days you could travel in the guards van[not ideal i know but better than not being able to board at all]i now have to take my mother in the wheelchair,thus taking away her independance,and an uncomfortable ride,its a good job my mother doesnt use the train though,as a 142-our usual trains,cant accomodate the many passengers who use them,let alone disabled ones,let us know how you get on with your travels.
Old 5th November 2011, 07:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by faltskog36abba View Post
im sorry i cant help you about getting about or interesting places to visit,t []he reason i am replying is-disabled people in britain are treated like second class citizens,my mother doesnt use the train but she used to use the manchester metrolink..regularly on her small mobility scooter,since the new smaller trams were introduced they have been banned,many disabled people use these scooters and its a disgrace that all modes of public transport in this day and age dont/or cant accomodate them,at least in the old days you could travel in the guards van[not ideal i know but better than not being able to board at all]i now have to take my mother in the wheelchair,thus taking away her independance,and an uncomfortable ride,its a good job my mother doesnt use the train though,as a 142-our usual trains,cant accomodate the many passengers who use them,let alone disabled ones,let us know how you get on with your travels.
I have just about given up considering using the railway for my trip
If anything due to the rubbish told by the TOC when I sat back and thought about it
A Disabled person HAS to book to ravel at least 24 hours before travel and only TWO wheelchairs are allowed on a train so how can they book more than two to travel
When they say that if a third wheelchair user tries to travel the disabled buggy user will be turned off as on booking there is no ability to define which mode of wheelchair or buggy use and only 2 can book

Lots of inconsistencies being quoted and when costed it works out so much cheaper to use my Motability car and disabled parking permits to visit places Not using station car parks as now EMT my local TOC charges £9 a day to park in a disabled space where as 200m away the local council charge £4 a day.

So far the only rail journey I'm actually looking at is London and maybe using a taxi to get around the city

Old 5th November 2011, 16:03

Hi Gray,
I was unfortunate enough to have to spend 8 years in a wheelchair before a slow recovery to being able to walk again. During that 8 years I used to travel extensively by train, rarely had trouble and had a great deal of help and kindness from railway staff.
Think of it from the TOC's viewpoint; the 24 hour's notice gives them time to arrange staff to meet you, arrange ramps and get you onto the train; meeting you on arrival at your destination (or transfer station) and getting you off the train and helping you off the station.
Only once did I have trouble - no-one to meet the train at Exeter and the train was delayed for 20 minutes until they could get me off! Mostly I have been met with a friendly smile from a "Customer Service Rep" who has all your details as to requirements etc. so it proves that the pre booking does work and takes no longer than getting the ticket. The biggest problem I encountered was young mothers with oversized pushchairs taking up the disabled space. It is very rare to have two wheelchairs on any one train.
Don't give up on the trains.
Regards, Tony.
Old 5th November 2011, 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Hi Gray,
I was unfortunate enough to have to spend 8 years in a wheelchair before a slow recovery to being able to walk again. During that 8 years I used to travel extensively by train, rarely had trouble and had a great deal of help and kindness from railway staff.
Regards, Tony.
I don't doubt that the station staff and some train managers are a great bunch but it wasn't the period of notice that was the real problem it was the attitude and condescension of the phone operators

I have a problem that means I have an exercise intolerance or using my wheelchair wouldn't be a problem I used to be extremely fit --- USED to be

and the attitude that TOC's HAVE to carry wheelchair but DON'T HAVE TO carry scooters actually made me rather cross

BUT the biggest problem I have got is cost I don't work now and am having to save up to go on this jaunt and to be honest using my car is actually more cost effective, as much as I DO want to travel by train

Old 6th November 2011, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcaravanner View Post
I have just about given up considering using the railway for my trip
If anything due to the rubbish told by the TOC when I sat back and thought about it
A Disabled person HAS to book to ravel at least 24 hours before travel and only TWO wheelchairs are allowed on a train so how can they book more than two to travel
When they say that if a third wheelchair user tries to travel the disabled buggy user will be turned off as on booking there is no ability to define which mode of wheelchair or buggy use and only 2 can book

Lots of inconsistencies being quoted and when costed it works out so much cheaper to use my Motability car and disabled parking permits to visit places Not using station car parks as now EMT my local TOC charges £9 a day to park in a disabled space where as 200m away the local council charge £4 a day.

So far the only rail journey I'm actually looking at is London and maybe using a taxi to get around the city
car parking free at northern station if you travel by trainhave you considered cummunity buses like dail a ride they take wheelchairs etc
Old 6th November 2011, 19:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesleyholly View Post
car parking free at northern station if you travel by trainhave you considered cummunity buses like dail a ride they take wheelchairs etc
Quite simply no as bus rides leave me in so much pain due to their jolting suspension that I wouldn't be able to get far - before I became ill last year the farthest I could travel by bus was 2 miles now I can't travel more than 1/2 mile on one

Ta for advice re Northern Stations being free for disabled

Is Carlisle a Northern station or another TOC

Old 6th November 2011, 19:30

i didnt know northern has free disabled parking,that may well bee at smaller stations,at manchester victoria i pay and display as the car park is an ncp,just checked on carlisle station,its a virgin station.
Old 7th November 2011, 12:53

I can't say what each TOCs restrictions are specifically, but generally a wheelchair of upto 1200mm by 700mm is fine to convey. ATW allow mobility scooters of the same dimensions, a maximum combined (rider and scooter) weight of 300kg and with a turning circle of 990mm, provided that the scooter has been assessed by a local manager and booked ahead.

The weight and size are determined by the ramps used to get wheelchairs on the train and the turning circle is so that they can move about in the train.

Train companies have a responsibility for your safety so they want to minimise any risks that there may be, but the majority of railway staff would, reasonably, try to get you to your destination even if you turned up without a booking.

Well done for making it past that today!