04:30

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Enough Northern!

Old 21st August 2010, 11:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48111 View Post
and the people in charge have as much interest in railways as I have in ballet dancing.

What colour is your tutu ?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Z...k_tutu.jpg&t=1

Last edited by pre65; 21st August 2010 at 11:29.
Old 21st August 2010, 11:49
Registered Member

Shut up
Old 21st August 2010, 15:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by springs branch mickey View Post
Just lately I've had to use the London underground, and if you want to know what crowding is, that's the place to go!
I agree totally SFE, these conditions are unacceptable.
mickey

Oh no. If you REALLY want to see overcrowding go to Tokyo/Yokohama and look at the suburban lines. Have a butchers at Youtube. [don't have to register] and type "Japan trains" in the search box. Couple of video's on there show the "Crushers!" making sure bums are inside the car.
Old 21st August 2010, 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbyteacup View Post
Ah, here we go again.

I've experienced this occasionally when the service before the one I am on has failed or been canceled, trying to shoehorn too many people into a 142 to the point where the doors don't close, isn't nice, but, I have to take issue with you on a few points;

1) On every occasion people have been instructed to move down the train, and do so.
2) Northern Rail are not responsible for people choosing where to stand.
3) You can move down into the vestibule yourself and / or ask others to do so. You didn't?
4) Apart from the pacers, Northern's trains seem fine inside, specifically, their sprinters and adelente units have all been comfortable and clean to me. Maybe I've not got very high standards.
5) Pacers are for getting commuters in and out of the city quickly, they do kinda fill a roll. They're not plesent but they do their job. This isn't Northern's fault, they have to use them.
6) I can tell you now that I've been on a Northern train that WAS dirty because it wasn't cleaned, and the conductor apologised for this on several
occasions. The interiors are usually "clean", save for the litter placed during the journey, it's just the interior itself I think you have a problem with?
7) Toilets are universally blocked - this is a lie. They're just not.
8) Staff can be rude and unhelpful - never, ever experienced this. Everyone I've ever delt with has been a pleasure.
9) DMU's break down - this would be Pacers, but again, not Northern's fault.

I personally think Northern have made the very best of what they've been given. Compared to the previous incumbants of the franchise, they're amazing. I'd personally like to see them stay. It's the DfT that need to make the changes needed to the franchise, not Northern.

You sound like someone with an axe to grind just because you've had an unpleasent trip. Sadly, that's just reality, regardless of TOC.
A few things I may not have explained about this.
On my particular journey that made me snap, people had no choice where to stand. The isles were full so the vestibule was the only choice for many.
I reached Piccadilly early and was one of the first people on board, so I got a seat. Toilets are blocked. If they aren't, you still would not want to go.
I'm afraid to say that customer service that I and others have recieved is terrible. Pacers are not designed for Commuter work at all. Rural branchlines was supposed to be their stamping ground.
With all respect, am I right in thinking that you yourself work for the railways in Manchester?
Old 24th August 2010, 10:20

I havent read all of this thread but what I would say is it is not enterley Northern Rail's fault as for one if the Guards didn't allow pepole to pile on the train ei. once the train starts to beciome full with a certain ammount of standiong pasengers then close the doors early.

And if pasengers didn't insist on piling on th etrain there wouldn't be a problem thats where it all starts becuse people won't wait an extra 5 minutes for the next train.

I agree about the Toilets and the staff as Northerns problem is that they stable trins all over the place and offten in the middle of no where just to save a few pounds.
Old 29th August 2010, 15:41

The 158 are so rubbish as they dont have very many seats and they can get busy so quickly and they only come in sets of 2
Old 30th August 2010, 05:43
Registered Member

There does seem to be a definate problem, does the modern railway not have carriage cleaners ?
Is there not a clause somwehere in their contract to run the trains, that the trains must be clean and serviceable ?

Old 31st August 2010, 12:38

I'm not sure if clean comes into it anymore, its most likely all words like satisfactory and serviceable, and even these vague words are used loosley.
Old 1st September 2010, 19:44

You say the toilets are blocked as if it's a fact, you don't provide a source for that statement, you just say it as if it's true. I've been on 3 Northern services today, the toilets have been fine on each one. If all the toilets are blocked, why is that?

Rural branch lines exist because of commuters, for the record.

On the customer service front, if I've never had bad customer service from Northern, why is that? I don't understand. Please explain to me when you've had bad customer service specifically?

Also, I do not work for the railways, I work for Manchester City Council.
Old 1st September 2010, 21:07

Post Who took the Great out of Britain

Having spent the Bank Holiday weekend in Europe all I can say about the condition of trains here is UGH!
Eurostars are getting a little shabby again, Belgium: interiors clean, trains on time, unfortunately the Graffitti artists have spoilt the exteriors, Luxembourg: clean and tidy, France: clean and tidy, Austria: clean and tidy, Switzerland: superb as usual.
Most foreign railways, including the private ones build trains for passengers, windows and seats line up, you don't have to look at the train side, information normally given in two or three languages, toilets aplenty, need I go on?
As an ex British Rail employee, and a couple of private companies before retirement all I can say the deteriation of both rolling stock and services is an absolute disgrace.
Enough said, except the last leg of my journey home was on Northern late last night and I could find fault but nothing seriously wrong, whilst from Euston to Lancaster the guard/train manager never once came through the train and no tickets were checked.
Bon
Voyage

Davat