06:30

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Brand new mark 3s?

Old 4th October 2010, 21:41

[QUOTE=LesG;51610]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
A new batch of locos as you say, but another issue brought up in the magazine was that the stock should be british built, and so should locos.

Completly agree, but we just have to look at the British built class 60s, the teething troubles that they had and the few that are still still in traffic are having and how old are they. Now look at the Yank crap thats going about now after 66001 came in and went through the railtrack testing programme, the rest, and the 67s came over on the boat and straight into traffic with minimum fuss.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a fan of 66s and 67s,the most noisy,uncomfy dirty heaps of TIN you can get, For reliablility though they are second to none.

So if a new loco was to be built in the UK then the reliability has to be there as well.

Les
do youthink a 66 or67 will ever last as long as 47 or be as reliable 50 years and still going

Old 4th October 2010, 22:37

We live in the real world chaps. The Jaguar E Type was a wonderful car but nobody is going to start building them again. When the worlds train manufacturers have their own designs available there is absolutely no incentive to start manufacturing a 40 year old design that has been out of production since 1986! I cant imagine other countries ghaving this debate when they need new trains. They just seek tenders from the worlds train makers and order take the most advantageous offer. Why do we have to reinvent the wheel or wallow in nostalgia?
Old 4th October 2010, 22:38

I traveled on a150 in the midlands some time ago they are nearly as bad as a Pacer ,noisy ,poor ride,the windows seem to be high in the body.Maybe the Chinese can provide an alternative to a MK3they are advertising in the papers with prices about there products.I read that they are going to run some units this year with a TOC as a trial but wont say which one.Still think that MK3,s are the best saw a picture of them when first introduced,looked very light and airy compared to now with high backed seats.Good article in Modern Railways latest issue.