22:48

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

S Bahn trains collide near Munich 2022-02-14

Old 14th February 2022, 19:09

Exclamation S Bahn trains collide near Munich 2022-02-14

Two local S-Bahn trains collided in a serious incident south of Munich city center in Germany on Monday. At least one person has been killed and several others injured, according to local police.

R.I.P. and condolences.

https://www.rt.com/news/549351-munich-sbahn-trains-collide-germany/

Old 15th February 2022, 00:41

HMMMM.
Hopefully this will not be the result of another misuse of signal ZS1.
After the Bad Aibling prang in Bavaria, DB were to examine the use of signal ZS1.
I will hafta check my DB material to see if I possess a gleisplan for Ebenhausen-Schäftlarn bahnhof.
Old 15th February 2022, 10:53

Oooooh thanks Steve, ya whetted my appetite there so I had a little Google.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkypedantry

Zs1 Ersatzsignal

Zs1
Ersatzsignal = Subsidiary signal

Three white lights aligned as a triangle (pointing upwards), or one flashing white light.

Meaning: the train may pass the accompanying main signal (that shows 'halt' or no valid aspect) with a maximum speed of 40 km/h. Details: If there is a dark distant signal at the same place, at most this speed has to be used until the aspect of the following main signal is visible, and until that, it must be expected that the latter signal commands "halt". If the main signal is a (train station's) exit signal ("Ausfahrsignal"), this speed limit applies until the last set of points/switch has been passed by the complete train, after which regular speed is permitted. In case of entry and intermediate main signals of a train station ("Einfahrsignal"/"Zwischensignal"), the speed limit has to be obeyed until after the next main signal or up to the usual stopping location ("gewöhnlicher Halteplatz"). If several cases apply, the lowest speed given by any of them has to be followed.[5]

This signal may be used when a main signal fails or cannot be set to a proceed aspect (because preconditions are not met). One possibility is that one or more bulbs don't work, and the necessary aspect cannot be shown. For example, a signal which should show Hp2 (green + yellow, proceed with 40 km/h) could have a broken yellow bulb. It would therefore show Hp1 (green, proceed with maximum speed). This would be dangerous because it implies to the driver that he could run faster than is safe, so the signal must show stop instead. Another possibility is that one of the 'proving' devices (devices for proving that a section of line is safe - e.g. that a set of points/switch has moved completely). In this case, the section of track or set of points/switch affected must be checked manually to ensure that everything is safe for the passage of trains, and the signal Zs 1 would be given.[5]
Also you can see a 2 minute video of it happening, complete with fuzzy buzzes here....ZS1 video

John
Old 16th February 2022, 01:28

G'day BW,
DB Zs1 had been a factor in a number of incidents due to either misuse or misunderstanding.
Bad Aibling being one of the worst.
I have not been able to unearth a gleisplan for Ebenhausen-Schäftlarn bahnhof.
So, don't know IF Zs1 signal is provided.
However, I have unearthed some interesting info about that single track branch line.
There is a chemicals plant at the end, so freight trains do rattle.
The info that I posses is around 7 years old, but I would doubt that any major alterations have occurred in the region since.
Track speeds are in the 70 kph range increasing to 90 kph.
There are some steep grades, including 1 in 50.
In the vicinity of Ebenhausen-Schäftlarn bahnhof the buchfahrplan stipulates an interesting instruction.
That being for trains to make a Service Brake Application.
I presume this applies to freighters, but wonder if emu commuter trains must also comply.
The single line has a number of bahnhoefe with crossing loops.
So, one does wonder just how two trains appeared in the section.
Will just hafta await the EUB prang report.
Steve.