03:38

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

northern rail

Old 7th December 2012, 16:56

northern rail

what a useless company.attempted to travel to lincoln today wanted to visit my daughter and see a deltic special.the christmas fayre is on so i was expecting a crowded train what i was not expecting was a 1 car unit that not unexpectedly was crammed to the gunnels.guard refused to allow anyone (and rightly so)on.so myself and 60 odd more passengers were left behind.surely this company employs at least 1 railwayman,one that could see loads of people wanting to travel and diagram attaching more units at sheffield.oh for the days of british rail run by railwaymen and not bus drivers and snotty little kids from university with no experience what so ever.

Old 7th December 2012, 22:35

The same thing happened when the Tall Ships were on the Mersey in 2008, most of Northern trains are two car units and there was standing room only on most services during the 'sailaway day'. In contrast Merseyrail strengthed their day services from 3 car to 6 car on the routes that most pax would be using and ran them every 15 minutes with plenty of staff at all stations along the way. Even so all seats were taken and passageways crowded.
Old 7th December 2012, 22:57

You have me puzzled Northern Run Leeds - Nottingham using 158 2 cars

their Nottingham to Lincoln I don't know what runs it but how could they attach units at Sheffield when the train originates at Nottingham

But not taking that away from your original thought

Northern are not a competent TOC but at the same time they get last pick of traction available

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 8th December 2012, 15:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcaravanner View Post
You have me puzzled Northern Run Leeds - Nottingham using 158 2 cars

their Nottingham to Lincoln I don't know what runs it but how could they attach units at Sheffield when the train originates at Nottingham

But not taking that away from your original thought

Northern are not a competent TOC but at the same time they get last pick of traction available
northern rail runs adwick -lincoln via sheffield and retford, a well organised company knowing the christmas fayre was on would plan in advance to ensure units are available.same thing happened today wanted to see the steam specials at lincoln,train turns up at worksop nobody could get on......you just couldnt make it up.
Old 8th December 2012, 18:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by poggie man View Post
northern rail runs adwick -lincoln via sheffield and retford, a well organised company knowing the christmas fayre was on would plan in advance to ensure units are available.same thing happened today wanted to see the steam specials at lincoln,train turns up at worksop nobody could get on......you just couldnt make it up.

Wasn't aware of the Sheffield via Retford service as I hardly ever go to Sheffield now

Old 9th December 2012, 23:18

Guess what ?!

Drove to Lincoln today

LOADS of EMT 156/4's stabled there and not a Northern Rail unit in sight
problem was had SWMBO with me so only enough time to look memorise numbers and head on to the absolutely stuffed last day of the Christmas Market

Old 10th December 2012, 21:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by poggie man View Post
what a useless company.attempted to travel to lincoln today wanted to visit my daughter and see a deltic special.the christmas fayre is on so i was expecting a crowded train what i was not expecting was a 1 car unit that not unexpectedly was crammed to the gunnels.guard refused to allow anyone (and rightly so)on.so myself and 60 odd more passengers were left behind.surely this company employs at least 1 railwayman,one that could see loads of people wanting to travel and diagram attaching more units at sheffield.oh for the days of british rail run by railwaymen and not bus drivers and snotty little kids from university with no experience what so ever.
1) Were there spare units at Sheffield? (and I mean actually spare, as in not needing maintenance, repairs, cleaning or anything else)
2) Could the actual level of passengers be predicted. (I don't just mean were more people likely to travel that day, I mean actual numbers)
3) If there were 'spare' units, did none of the other routes in the area need any of those units?
4) Can you be certain that they had not planned for it? Is it possible that infact a train may have failed, preventing it from being used?

Well done for making it past that today!
Old 11th December 2012, 11:45

complained to northern rail and recieved a reply.didnt know whether to laugh or cry. the usual bull untill the last paragraph in which they imply it was all lincoln city.s fault for having the audacity to run a christmas fayre and not pay northern rail to put on extra trains.i haved forwarded it to lincoln city council.come back british rail.
Old 11th December 2012, 16:15

I went to the market last Friday and it was not too crowded. I drove there from Derby and it took just over an hour on the new duel carrageway! total cost to me was £11.60 fuel (approx) £4.50 parking fee (not the horendus £15.00 park and ride rip off!) this was for two people and had the comfort of good seating and plenty of room.
This is for many the reason why we no longer use rail if fortunate enough to have a car!
I agree with Poggie Man bring back British Rail and pricing that ordinary folk can afford!!
Regards
Phil
Old 11th December 2012, 19:38

Your right Phil, lets get back to a propper railway system where theres only two prices for a journey 1st and 2nd class, not all this confusion over fare prices, if you pay on the day or buy your ticket in advance to get it cheaper it costs the train operator the same to get you from A to B.