08:58

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Destination Wirksworth

Old 21st June 2012, 09:26

Destination Wirksworth

Matlock Mercury

Enjoy the ride and the destination . . . .

. . . . . The idea behind this date is to coincide with the launch of the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway’s diesel weekend as well as the Wirksworth Midsummer Farmers Market.

. . . . . Destination Wirksworth is a new website that aims to showcase all the best places to eat, drink and visit in the town while giving up-to-date information on all upcoming events.

However, for anybody who has a keen interest in one of England’s oldest traditions – beer drinking – the Destination Wirksworth Real Ale Guide promises to be the definitive guide of all the best real ale in the area.

. . . .. The critical aim is that this initiative should boost tourism, trade, and indeed prosperity in Wirksworth and down the valley towards Duffield.

Neil Ferguson, brainchild of the Destination Wirksworth campaign, said: “The view is quite simple: if the railway prospers so will the area it covers. But if the places become popular in their own right – so will the railway.

“It’s been estimated that for every £1 spent on the railway it works out up to £3 being spent in the community.”

Old 21st June 2012, 14:41
Station Manager

I understand from Neil that the good beer guide will be available on your mobile phone and that he has tested all the beers personally - a great hardship but someone has to do it!

This is also a good place to mention the Diesel weekend this wekend with the Class 31 and Class 33 in action. The Class 20 is out of action at present due to overdue body repairs.

Sunday sees trains stopping at Shottle for the first time and a chance to view progress on the passing loop.

I am 3rd man on the Duffield service on Sunday a change from firing No.3! However I will be back on No.3's footplate on Sunday 1st July when we will have a good selection of vintage buses on site.

So if you have nothing better to do on the next two Sunday make Wirksworth your destination!

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 21st June 2012, 14:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H-T View Post
when we will have a good selection of vintage buses on site..
A bit daunting when most of the exhibits are younger than I am
Old 21st June 2012, 14:46
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyvern View Post
A bit daunting when most of the exhibits are younger than I am
I thought some of them look decidedly modern last year. I remember some of them entering service!

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 21st June 2012, 15:30

I was in Wirksworth a few weeks ago and visited the station, although without going on a train. Our main reason for visiting had been to have a pint or two in town. Very good too and a pleasant town well worth a visit. If you're taking the train there, I suggest you stroll up into town and enjoy having a look around - and a pint.
Old 22nd June 2012, 22:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrail View Post
I was in Wirksworth a few weeks ago and visited the station, although without going on a train. Our main reason for visiting had been to have a pint or two in town. Very good too and a pleasant town well worth a visit. If you're taking the train there, I suggest you stroll up into town and enjoy having a look around - and a pint.
Second that Ianrail, plenty of nice places to eat and drink in this little town. A few interesting sites too and well worth a walk round the steep streets.
All the best
Phil
Old 23rd June 2012, 13:03

Destination Wirksworth

Really hoping this takes off and wishing every success for todays event. Anyone planning a visit please call in at my website. Quality accommodation just a couple of hundred yards from Wirksworth Station.
www.theoldlockup.co.uk
Old 24th June 2012, 19:33
Station Manager

Good day today and the sun shone in spite of the Forecast!
Shottle Station is now open although a bit difficult to get to, see web site: www.e-v-r.com

Will post some photos later.

If you are visiting the railway please support the lcoal businesses like the Old Lock Up.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 24th June 2012, 21:26

Today was an excellent day and once the booking hall staff at Duffield had been Briefed With Extreme Prejudice, services commenced with 33025 at the south end and 31414 at the north.

Shottle Station reopened today, 65 years and 11 days since it was closed by the LMS and the link below leads to a picture of the inaugural service.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26690797@N02/7434805726/

By the way, if you would like to take a look at our Beer Guide, go to http://www.destinationwirksworth.co.uk and follow the Beer Guide link.

Kind regards,

Neil Ferguson-Lee