00:44

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Red Bank Carriage & Van Sidings, Manchester

Old 20th September 2008, 10:13

Red Bank Carriage & Van Sidings, Manchester

http://the-railway-image.fotopic.net/p16690775.html

This might bring back memories for many people! Never visited the site myself and its now defunct of course (closed 1989) but it looked a lively & fascinating place, rather like a rolling stock marshalling yard. Would it have any use these days? A DMU stabling point? Although it would be nowhere near as extensive as it looked here.. crikey 1988, doesn't seem that long ago does it!

Old 20th September 2008, 15:31

Does for me, I was born within days of that photo most likely.
Old 20th September 2008, 21:44

Many memories of when we ran the postal vans and TPO's there for the weekend overhaul. Such happy days.
Old 20th September 2008, 23:48

Hello There
I was interested to see the photo as I worked in Cheetham Hill signalbox a couple of times in 1993 when of course all the sidings had gone.
jmack
Old 23rd September 2008, 09:12

I have found this photo in my collection of 40088 hauling the daily Holyhead-Red Bank working at Parkside on 3rd November 1981.
40088_parkside_031181.jpg
Old 23rd September 2008, 10:07

I always remember when the parcels trains used to run on the WCML the "roar" the GUVs used to make when going at high speed.

Red Bank used to serve many places - Carlisle, Glasgow, Barrow, Leeds, York, Liverpool (Wavertree), Heysham, etc. I think there was even a cross-Manchester transfer service from Longsight to Red Bank. I believe Vic used to be quite a lively place in the evening as the vans came alongside Platform 11 for the newspapers from the printing presses for despatch to numerous destinations. Add to this parcels & newspapers from Manchester Exchange prior to '69 both complexes must have been an electrifying place to be.

Perhaps Manchester's most celebrated van train was the Heaton (Newcastle) to Red Bank (Manchester Victoria) which last ran on July 11 1988. Regularly double-headed in steam days.
Old 23rd September 2008, 18:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks View Post
I always remember when the parcels trains used to run on the WCML the "roar" the GUVs used to make when going at high speed.......................
Yes, on jointed track you could tell it was a parcels train without even looking. I can still hear the characteristic sound of bogie vehicles mixed with 4-wheeler CCT's.

Last edited by swisstrains; 24th September 2008 at 18:44. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 24th September 2008, 10:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
Yes, on jointed track you could tell it was a parcels train without even looking. I can still hear the charactertic sound of bogie vehicles mixed with 4-wheeler CCT's.
I often wonder what it must have been like to ride in them. A lively experience I imagine!

My nearest must have been riding in a Commonwealth bogied MK1 Buffet when they were still being used in WCML formations, such as the Sussex Scot from Brighton to Edinburgh!

Last edited by dunks; 24th September 2008 at 10:27.
Old 24th January 2009, 20:06

i remember this train thru Rochdale about 5 pm with 61019 EE type 4 in the mid 60s what a sight pricless
Old 24th January 2009, 20:13

61019 was b1 class withh EE type 4 leading on Newcastle Red bank vans