13:48

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

'Big shift' to rail urged for UK (BBC News)

Old 4th March 2008, 18:34

'Big shift' to rail urged for UK (BBC News)

The UK needs to shift much of its road traffic onto the railways to curb greenhouse gas emissions, a report urges.

More from BBC News...

Old 4th March 2008, 22:23

"The report's authors said Britain could learn much from countries with superb rail systems, such as Japan, where trains routinely arrive and depart on the minute, equipment failures are rare, and where many railway stations form centrepieces of cities and districts."

I want to go to Japan to see this paradise for myself.... Sayonara
Old 5th March 2008, 19:36
Station Manager

I hope some body has told the lobby who want to get even larger lorries onto our roads.

The Railway Freight companies have already said they could not compete and much traffic won back by the railways would return to the roads!
Old 15th March 2008, 02:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H-T View Post
I hope some body has told the lobby who want to get even larger lorries onto our roads.

The Railway Freight companies have already said they could not compete and much traffic won back by the railways would return to the roads!
Ah! but there-in lies the rub John IMO.

The Private freight Companies are only looking at their own profit and loss.

A Nationalised Gov run Rail service would also have in mind the small cost to the taxpayer of providing a rail freight service on top of it's passenger requirements against the building of motorways and subsequent congestion.

The alternative is a massive subsidy for road freight and congestion on our motorways....and increased taxation on the private motorist to get them off them because the roads can't cope!

The other thing that amazes me is that throughout Europe.....the canals and large rivers are used widely for none time specific bulk freight over hundreds of miles.

What the hell.......What's wrong "on this Island" of using ships around our coasts to transport some goods?.............Bet your life the Germans would...and the French! All it needs is planning ......... but! we British aren't good at that are we?...Nah! Let's descend into chaos instead!

Flabbergasted! (but getting used to it now).

Last edited by Resolution; 15th March 2008 at 02:41.