07:06

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Severe weather hits rail services (BBC News)

Old 8th January 2010, 08:28

Severe weather hits rail services (BBC News)

The cold snap forces train operators to bring in a winter timetable in Cambridgeshire where services are cancelled or delayed.

More from BBC News...

Old 8th January 2010, 16:14

Just after 1pm today we had a shock! Our road was gritted! The previous time was the Monday before Christmas, nineteen days ago; and it's a bus route too.

In shock! 62044, er, no, 62440.:
Old 8th January 2010, 16:54

Someone must be feeling guilty - our roads were gritted by this morning. NOTHING had been done whatsoever; the snow started here on Tuesday and no roads had been treated as a precaution. It's now nearly 4pm on Friday, and there's still no buses running at all in Gosport (pop. 77,000+) or Fareham (none since Tuesday). It's a bloody disgrace if you ask me.
Old 8th January 2010, 19:18

So Cambridgeshire is badly hit?
Trains running to a Winter Timetable in winter (what else would they be doing I ask myself this time of the year?). All very strange to me living in Cambridgeshire where our village roads have been gritted including the estates, enough snow to see the road through and the garden ponds not yet frozen over. Even drove over the fen yesterday where it was a typical white covering with black water and roads. I wonder how the modern folk would have got by as in 1963 and even better 1947 what with gas lights, no coal and a Miner's strike, of course central heating was the fire in the living room more or less the centre of the house or in the coal fired range in the kitchen dribbling 'treacle' as my popld mum called from the flue joints since no coal meant we scoured the hedgerows for bits of wood to burn. Happy days indeed.
Off topic more or less although there is a pub called The Railway involved. Is anyone into Morris etc? If so and at the Whittlesea Straw Bear on 16th and 17th look out for the Pig Dyke Molly dressed as befits Fen Folk in Winter in black and white. If you are there search out the one with the long white beard who no doubt will be handing badges to children and extorting money from adults and say hello.
John (G)
Old 8th January 2010, 22:38

why dont they just put snow plough's on the trains

or a service train to clear it all
Old 8th January 2010, 22:39

a bit of snow a every thing comes to a stand still

stupid