08:30

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

The mirror does it again!

Old 15th January 2007, 18:04

Exclamation The mirror does it again!

Well the mirror newspaper has excelled itself again. Have a look at the link below, i'd be very interested in what other members thoughts are?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_head...name_page.html

Old 15th January 2007, 19:31

Well if you did'nt know .....YOU DO NOW thanks to the mirror

SEth
Old 15th January 2007, 19:38
Station Manager

Like many other things the government do, this is a total B...s up. I have lost faith in all the government departments. Its no good them saying that it was down to EWS. It was a very sensitive train and they should have checked that there was full security at every stage of the trip.
By the same token, the Mirror seem very keen to let every one know just how to get at one of these trains, and what to do to cause as much damage as possible. Maybe they want something to happen so they can say "we told you so". All the media nowadays seem hell bent on showing every little toe
rag and yob just how easy it is to break the law or cause mayhem. OR maybe I'm just an old git.
Syd
Old 15th January 2007, 20:02
Station Manager

As a railway man that get out and about the problem is that there are so many company's now doing work on the railway you don't know who many people are,Unlike the times when the railway was looked after by one set of people that we all knew and when ever you went to a area you would always bump in to them as it was there area.
But that's life if i stoped everybody to ask what they were doing i would be there all day.
All the besy,Ian
Old 15th January 2007, 21:29

I hear about the problems with many operating companies but should not the transport police have been doing something about security for such a dangerous shipment?
John
Old 15th January 2007, 22:33

Potentially dangerous materials have always been carried by the railways and despite what the Mirror would have you believe it is still the safest way of transporting such things.
No matter which mode of transport is chosen to carry the military's ammunition it can never be made totally secure as it has to pass through public places. Even if the authorities ensured that these trains only ever stopped in totally fenced off compounds surrounded by armed guards this level of security would be useless as soon as the train was on the move again. Anyone determined enough could cause damage to one of these trains at any point on the network and not just where they stop to change crews etc.
I imagine that the review of security promised by EWS will include trying to find out if one of their staff gave the media inside information about the train. Surely, the Mirror knew too much about the trains route and timings to have worked it out for themselves?
If some degree of increased security is deemed necessary I can only imagine something along the lines of that offered to the Royal Train or even the onboard armed-guards that accompany military nuclear material. It all depends on how often these ammunition trains run as to whether it is economically viable.
Old 16th January 2007, 10:23

Exclamation

Apparently the mirror got inside information from a railway source and now EWS has offered a 5k reward for information on who it was. I for one hope they catch the scum!
Old 16th January 2007, 20:02
Station Manager

Well you can go on to Freightmaster interactive sigh up and away you go all the info you need,so it is easy to get the info if you want it.
So if they paid a railwayman money for the info if he is found he will be sacked on the spot
i dont think i would risk my job for a bit of cash.
All the best,Ian