15:47

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

New northern rail franchises 'must scrap Pacers trains'

Old 27th February 2015, 10:51

New northern rail franchises 'must scrap Pacers trains'

The government has confirmed it wants to scrap the 30-year-old Pacer trains on railways in northern England.

Companies bidding for the government's new rail franchises in the North will be required to replace them by 2020, the Department For Transport said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-31650705

Old 27th February 2015, 12:07

About time too, can't come quick enough. And we want new trains, not refurbished stuff like we are having to have like the 319's sets from down south for the Liverpool - Manchester/Preston services.
Old 28th February 2015, 18:18

You will probably get old 153's displaced from elsewhere. I haven't seen any plans for new replacements for pacers. You must remember that old units are sent to the North West to die.
Old 28th February 2015, 18:34

They'll probably end up on the Robin Hood Line after getting a stay of execution.
Old 1st March 2015, 10:48

Angry

I'm not sure if i was on a 153, but last week i was on a train from Southampton to Cardiff, the stock had 3xseats on one side and 2xseats opposite, not comfortable for such a long journey, and no toilet!
Would anyone know if these trains used to be on the Leamington /B-ham Snow Hill /Kidderminster service.
Old 1st March 2015, 12:37

Surely Indian Railways could buy the Pacers ? $137bn ought to cover it.
Old 1st March 2015, 12:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith morgan View Post
I'm not sure if i was on a 153, but last week i was on a train from Southampton to Cardiff, the stock had 3xseats on one side and 2xseats opposite, not comfortable for such a long journey, and no toilet!
Would anyone know if these trains used to be on the Leamington /B-ham Snow Hill /Kidderminster service.
Hmm interesting. Under existing standards, new rolling stock specified for routes with journeys in excess of an hour must have a toilet. The recent toiletless Class 376s slipped into service by being categorised as suburban/less than 60 minutes route time.

This isn't helpful for people who've been out on the booze and face a 55 minute journey home. Worse still where station toilets are closed in the early evening to avoid vandalism.

But for obsolescent rolling stock without toilets - I guess they can probably do with them what they like.

Which (as someone with a small bladder) I think is wicked
Old 1st March 2015, 20:07

When I rode on one back in the late 1980's, I couldn't wait to get off again. Then again I couldn't wait to get away from the place I visited, but even more so.
Old 1st March 2015, 21:54

Whilst as a passenger I'm not keen on the pacers, but they were easy to work. The probable replacement will be the refurbished ex London Underground/overground stock which are being re engined with a diesel instead of the third rail system.