15:00

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Narrow Gauge

WHR dispute.

Old 21st August 2010, 21:56

WHR dispute.

This has been going on for ages. the ongoing argument between the WHR ltd, and the Ffestiong railway company.
Now I advise turing to page 53 of the current steam railway magazine.

They said the following:
"After the the meeting members were given a presentation on the Ffestiniog railway, how the current situation has arisen, and and the current options for the future.
These were: negotiation with the FR, withdrawal from any association with the FR, seeking legal solution, or an outright fight."

That last point made me sit forward in my seat. I didn't know things were that bad, but should war break out on the streets of Porthmadog.......... please wait so I can get down to wales and watch!

Old 21st August 2010, 22:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post

That last point made me sit forward in my seat. I didn't know things were that bad, but should war break out on the streets of Porthmadog.......... please wait so I can get down to wales and watch!
I was not aware that war of any sort was funny.

And anything that damages the credibility of this fine undertaking is bad for the preservation movement as a whole.
Old 21st August 2010, 22:24

I wasn't laughing at the war part, and I'm sorry that I did not explain that fully, and I apolgise for any offence caused.
What I was laughing at was the fact it was considered by such respected groups, which deserves joking at for their stupidity. A fight like that won't help either company as you said.
Old 21st August 2010, 23:24

I believe the idea was a fight in the courts, SFE, NOT handbags at ten paces!

Regards, 62440.
Old 22nd August 2010, 06:22

As suggested elsewhere, the WHHR (if they want a line of their own) could build over a new formation to Tremadoc, or even over part of the old Gorseddau tramway.
The problem is their understandable wish to have a somewhat longer run for their trains, and the WHR/FR need to maintain profits over the full WHR. Even if WHHR do get some arrangement to run occasionally under WHR/FR auspices, I feel their own proper line is worth considering - just a mile or two would make all the difference for them.
Old 22nd August 2010, 15:54

I do think that the FR are in the wrong here. Simply because the WHHR built and paid for part of the line, and there is no current benefit for this.
Old 22nd August 2010, 19:03

The FR have always been in the wrong they highjcked all the European money in the 1990's having not been interested in the WHR until they realised the 1964 group might hve a viable proposal,Now having built the line they are playing big brother with the WHR seemingly terrified that a Porthmadog Pont Croeser run behing Russell would take masses of trade away from harbour station.

My Rail Photography Site

My Flickr
Old 22nd August 2010, 19:41

Its all rubbish though now, it has been proved that close proximity of lines does not always harm visitor numbers.
I don't think it will harm either company here either, especially if they market the WHHR trains as a national network link shuttle, as harbour station is hardly convenient for this job. I think there may have been concerns about technology mix ups too.

WHHR is a heritage railway with old salvaged and replica equipment. The FR is I think not in that category as such. It has modern signalling sytems, modern coaching stock built with modern meathods and modern track. I think nowadays they only use steam A: because they like it, and B: its a big attraction. Its almost nothing like the 1954 beginings. You could almost call it a modern railway.
The WHHR is none of those things and most of its policies will be different. This does not by any means make it a bad railway, far from it.
Old 30th August 2010, 20:54

Well,it's really quite silly.There is actually a war going on in porthmadog.And I'm in it
I'm actually working on both railways (WHHR and FR) and they are both great railways.On the WHHR,the chairman (who actually disliked the FR) changed and now,we have a more FR friendly one.The main problem is,that the FR promised the WHHR that they could run trains to Pont Croesor (2 miles from Porthmadog)and now (because of the FR unfriendly management) they just don't let them do that.I really hope that the WHHR could run their Trains down to Pont Croesor.
Reguards,Alex
Old 1st September 2010, 14:33

I hope everything is sorted out for the next year full opening. I am on the WHHRs side all the way, but seeking legal aid could be very costly if they lose. The FR is now in a very powerful state and has backing from many areas, as was proved by all the funding the WHR rebuilding project has proved. Seeking compensation for the section that they built is an option but would not do the railway much good and will have achieved nothing.
If it is current FR management that is the problem then maybe new management is needed, as I doubt that the majority of the FR empire will feel the same way as those in charge.