03:28

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Do you want to feature in a documentary?

Old 6th March 2011, 23:31

Do you want to feature in a documentary?

Hello,

My name is Joel Stocker and I am the producer of media production company BasementDocumentary. We are 2nd year BA (hons) Media Productions students studying at The University of Winchester undertaking a yearlong module in documentary film.

One of our current projects is about trainspotters and rail enthusiasts as we try to challenge the stereotype and discover where the passion for trains comes from. I would very much like to work alongside people, like yourselves, to achieve this goal as I feel you would be paramount to us producing a brilliant documentary that we will be entering into competition in June.

If you require more validation of my intent please feel free to contact my supervising lecturer, who will verify the intentions of our project.

Supervising lecturer: Mr Karin Stowe BA (Hons), MA, PGCE/FE
Office Telephone number: 01962 827206
Email: HYPERLINK "mailto:[email protected]" [email protected]

Yours sincerely,

Joel Stocker
Tel: 07804105408
Email: [email protected]

Old 7th March 2011, 10:13

The term train spotters always arouses concerns. In the wider context it is often used as a derogatory lable.

The term "Rail Buffs" also can be used to ridicule. A typical newspaper line that I have often seen is "Rail buffs get all steamed up about new train" etc etc.

It would also seem that similar lables are applied in the USA too, but less so in continental Europe.

Good luck in trying to unpack this one. It may stem from the 1960's when both here and in the USA rail seemed to be in terminal decline and those supporting it were seen as a rather weird and out of touch with "progress".

Rail was better regarded elsewhere in Europe so not the same stigma perhaps???
Old 7th March 2011, 23:14

Okay, so when I was first interested in trains, then I was a train-spotter, but now I am a lot older, so I feel better being classed as a Rail Enthusiast.
Old 8th March 2011, 00:43

I don't take numbers any more, and prefer to be called a "railway enthusiast".
Old 8th March 2011, 11:22

This is all good advice guys.

But I need to know if any one of you would be willing to get involved with our documentary. Our intention is to create an observational documentary that challenges the social stereotype and judgmental opinions upheld by some of the public about rail enthusiasts.
We intend for it to be a documentary in which the story is told by the subjects and not the filmmakers. This means that at no point will we (the production team) be on camera. Our reasons for doing this is to create a ‘fly on the wall’ type scenario allowing the viewer a window into the lives of our subjects.

We are heading up to Swindon and Cricklade railway who have agreed to let us film up there during the weekends. So anyone who gets involved can enjoy that experience with us.
Old 8th March 2011, 12:57

I was interested but with all the responses from the forum there has been no response from the OP so have we got a troll???

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643

Last edited by Madcaravanner; 9th March 2011 at 19:03. Reason: lack of response from OP
Old 8th March 2011, 13:51

I have been on the media with regard to rail issues when I worked for the Rail Passenger's Committee for Southern England, now replaced by Passenger Focus.

To be on the Media requires training especially if you are representing a cause. I think your idea of using subjects only would probably not be entirely effective. I might be interested if you were to consider another model i.e. with professional input in the presentation.
Old 8th March 2011, 22:53

been there, done that, "starred in the film"

so, thanks, but no thanks! as I don't think the production I took part in had any affect at all, despite being re-played on TV/satellite several times.....

sorry.......

and winchester is a bit too far from my current base.
Old 9th March 2011, 00:47

While I wouldn't mind taking part, at present I am unable to arrange anything, as my Wife is currently in need of me here, due to a Serious Health problem she is going through, following a Doctor from our local surgery REFUSING to come out when first summonsed in early February, because as HE claimed, HE was the Only Doctor out of the 3 that are normally on duty, and available.

He showed how concerned he was, by phoning us 36 hours LATER, offering to see my wife, but only AFTER she had been sent home from hospital, because of his refusal to attend her until many hours later.
Old 10th March 2011, 12:09

Hello and welcome to the forum!
FTS member

All views/opinions expressed are purely MY OWN and NOT that of any preservation group/organisation I am part of