07:44

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Replacement of 142, 143 and 144?

Old 5th June 2007, 09:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222007 View Post
Sorry going to have to correct you there First Great Western (FGW) also have a limited number of the units also
From what's stated on Wikipedia which I know may not be 100% accurate First Great Western have 7 Pacer 143s but no 142s

Old 5th June 2007, 14:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Hicks View Post
=the Norhtern rail terminating serviuces use platforms 1 to 4, so arriving beside us was a 142 that looked quite busy, Im pretty sure there were people standing
Northern Rail normally use platforms 11 and 12 for diesels. Electric trains have to obviously use platforms with overhead wires. Transpennine Express normally use the lower number platforms.
Old 28th August 2007, 00:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapelon View Post
I absolutely detest any of the 14x series as a former guard at Leeds and Harrogate I had my fill of them all in the early 1990's they are long overdue replacement and were a step backwards from the conventional DMU's they replaced the sooner in the scrapyard the better, what an embarrasment they are if any of my colleagues from other European railways ride on them let alone see them.
A class 31 and 4 mkII's is a much better quality train .
I would have to strongly disagree with the above statement. During the early 1980s I regularly travelled on first generation DMUs. I have travelled on most classes except the class 124s. With the exception of class 110s the acceleration on them was hopeless, the ride quality was appalling and a ride on a 104 was like bleakhouse! Despite all the problems when first introduced I viewed the introduction of the Pacers as a welcome relief!

It is also worth pointing out that other European countries do have railbuses, although the Czech railways recently rebuilt some of their DMUs with bogies.

Last edited by HORNEBEE DUBLO; 28th August 2007 at 00:37. Reason: Completeness.
Old 28th August 2007, 21:10

Apparently the pacers are due to be around untill at least 2012