04:33

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Cab Rides

Old 7th December 2010, 12:35

I have had a cab ride in a few diesels mostly shunters even driven a few! The 0-6-0 and 0-4-0 shunters are certainly nippy but make one hell of a racket when doing 25mph+. The bigger loco's are nice to drive and be in, still noisey but a lot more smooth and comfortable. I have been in 3 different Sentinels, a class 33, a hunslet and a class 113. Thats not including all the steamers i have worked on most notably GWR 5637, Austerity no.47 Moorbarrow, and two andrew barclay 0-4-0's lord fisher & lady nan much more fun than diesels!
mm319

Old 7th December 2010, 13:09

When I was about 10 years old, Agecroft Colliery and Power stations were opened and a 4 road yard opened which was operated by two 0-4-0 saddle tank locos; Agecroft No 1 and Agecroft No 2. Myself and a pal spent many hours trainspotting on the adjacent main line. We were invited on to the locos by the driver who proceeded to teach us the workings of the engine and eventually taught us to drive. We spent most of our holidays happily shunting waggons in and out of those sidings; happy memories indeed.
After spending upwards of £250,000 on a loco, why do they not design a comfortable cab for a diesel loco? Could you imagine a pilot or even a bus driver putting up with such bad conditions?
Old 7th December 2010, 18:18

Over the years I have had plenty of cab rides, official and unofficial, steam, diesel and electric.

Can't say I am keen on steam far, too dirty; spent a day acting as pilotman (for a signalling disconnection) on a preserved railway once - it took two showers to get clean.

Worst riding thing I have ever been is a toss-up between the old class 81 and 85 electrics, awfully rough and bounced all over the place and an Irish Rail 141 class - shook and rattled like hell . 86/0s could be interesting as well though the other varieties rode better.

With regard to the opposite BR 80xxx 2-6-4T would probably count as the best steam loco and the Swiss BLS Ae6/8 electric was quite smooth for it's age - probably all those wheels!
Old 7th December 2010, 19:55
user

1957-61 Enfield Town Loco. 1961-1974 Kings Cross - All links as a fireman 1974-1980 Driver at Enfield Town.

Forgive me if I tell you that I lost count of my footplate rides.
Old 8th December 2010, 19:57

I have only had one diesel cabride to speak of, and that was a class 37 at Blaenau Ffestioniog station about 11 or 12 years ago I think.

Steam? Might as well mention it was a 2ft gauge quarry Hunlet 0-4-0ST in a similar time period at the Llanberis lake railway. Probably won't let you do that any more. 3 people on such a small loco is very uncomfortable actually. It was 'Thomas Bach'.
Old 21st January 2011, 12:06

When I was at Willesden Loco just before they energised the wire to Nuneaton(1964ish) I was at Rugby and i got Lift back to Euston and the shed on a Dutchess(I think it was the City of London) Having always been on diesels I was suprised by the slow progress to Hillmorton and Kilsby Tunnel, However she realy got going by Blisworth and we went round Roade curve and Wolverton at 90 plus(speedo not working) and got to Euston in aboun and hour.
The ride was guite good at high speed but the loco waddled along at low speed.
I do wish i could remember more but my my mind was occupied with my promotion to the traction section at Euston and forthcomming Marrage to my wife.
Sorry mate at my poor memory if I remember any more I will post it on this website
Old 21st January 2011, 14:05

I got talking to a First Scotsrail driver whilst having a smoke break at Crianlarich.
I had my GBRf logo coat on and he asked me if I wanted to jump in the cab with him. I think it may have been Rab C. Nesbitt driving because I couldn't understand a word. I stayed with him until Dalmally. If you're ever going to have a cab ride this is the place to have one. Shame it was a 156 and not a 37. This was in Jan 2006 and there was plenty of snow about. I suppose if I could pick a part of our network to have a cab ride on it would have to be on the S&C.
Old 21st January 2011, 14:21

Cab rides used to go on a lot in the 70s and 80s i dont think i would do it now with today's railways.
I remember one day we took five or six young men from Bodmin Road to Wenford Bridge in the brakevan a full day and they all had a great time, some weeks later it was published in a rail magazine with photos we all had a bit of a telling off back at the depot St Blazey.
If it was done today i think you would be looking at the sack.

Old 21st January 2011, 17:48

You can understand that. Why risk your job. I seem to remember in the mid to late 70's, Fort Knox was easier to get into than Toton due to the fact that a rail enthusiast got killed having had permission from the supervisor to look round. I have been told to leave from there in no uncertain terms a couple of times but once went round whilst in possession of a permit (Remember them) even though Toton was notoriously hard work back then to do it officially.

I actually showed quite a lot of official parties around Whitemoor and it was very enjoyable. Sometimes you would get people trespassing and as long as they got a TOPS list of the wagons in the yard, they would go away quietly. Another time I took a former BR guard based at the old Whitemoor round with me on a quiet Sunday afternoon. He had not lost his touch and was controlling shunting movements as well as having a ride on an 08. I would always help out an enthusiast.
Old 22nd January 2011, 02:48

Smile

Ive had a cab ride in a few diesels mostly class 37"s along the north wales coast,but this was fer few years back when i was in my teens,my coursin work for transrail at the time,driven ballast trains...