12:47

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

have a look at this

Old 13th August 2010, 20:55
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locojoe View Post
Here's a couple of photos of Elsenham station and level crossing. I don't know if the level crossing is manned with crossing keeper and hut.

The grey wooden building with the felt roof could be the crossing keepers hut.

Old 13th August 2010, 21:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by locojoe View Post
Here's a couple of photos of Elsenham station and level crossing. I don't know if the level crossing is manned with crossing keeper and hut.
yes thats the one and it is still manned untill this day and even as we speak

reason: the local people have put a preservation order on it so network rail cant change it to an auto crossing

Abellio Greater Anglia (Ilford Depot)
Old 27th August 2010, 10:14

it's definitely not fair for the train driver. not only because of the shock. in the film they use a class 31 (correct me if i'm wrong) which has a very high cab and large buffers. but with modern EMUs which have much lower cabs and lack buffers the driver can get quite badly injured if the train hits a big car!
Old 30th August 2010, 00:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECML43 View Post
it's definitely not fair for the train driver. not only because of the shock. in the film they use a class 31 (correct me if i'm wrong) which has a very high cab and large buffers. but with modern EMUs which have much lower cabs and lack buffers the driver can get quite badly injured if the train hits a big car!
Okay I know that was large-ish tanker and not a family saloon but the proof of the above, as if it were really needed, was there for all to see at Sudbury earlier this month. You just can't take any risks on level crossings of any sort.

If it has less than 16 wheels it had better be a bike. If it has more than two wheels, it had better be a TRAIN!!
Old 30th August 2010, 08:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRBRobinson View Post
Okay I know that was large-ish tanker and not a family saloon but the proof of the above, as if it were really needed, was there for all to see at Sudbury earlier this month. You just can't take any risks on level crossings of any sort.
I believe the driver of the DMU had exited the cab (into the passenger compartment) by the actual impact point.
Old 30th August 2010, 19:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
I believe the driver of the DMU had exited the cab (into the passenger compartment) by the actual impact point.
Yes, I read somewhere that, having applied the emergency brake, he was in the doorway from the cab to the passenger compartment shouting a warning to the passengers at the time of the collision, and that this accounted for some of his injuries. I don't know the technicalities of driving a train, other than the odd play of Trainz, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of this. However, I understand that once the emergency braking system has been applied there is nothing else the driver can do. I seem to recall similar information being given regarding a HST that suffered serious cab damage in a collision with a tree a month or so ago, there the driver applied the emergency brake and ducked for cover in the nick of time. I'm sure there's someone with more knowledge of train driving here who would know about this.

If it has less than 16 wheels it had better be a bike. If it has more than two wheels, it had better be a TRAIN!!
Old 31st August 2010, 14:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRBRobinson View Post
Yes, I read somewhere that, having applied the emergency brake, he was in the doorway from the cab to the passenger compartment shouting a warning to the passengers at the time of the collision, and that this accounted for some of his injuries. I don't know the technicalities of driving a train, other than the odd play of Trainz, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of this. However, I understand that once the emergency braking system has been applied there is nothing else the driver can do. I seem to recall similar information being given regarding a HST that suffered serious cab damage in a collision with a tree a month or so ago, there the driver applied the emergency brake and ducked for cover in the nick of time. I'm sure there's someone with more knowledge of train driving here who would know about this.
Won't argue with that
I wasn't in the cab when I hit a tree either, wasn't worried about broken bones
more about glass in the eyes
Old 1st September 2010, 09:26

I've banged on a bit on Trainguy.co.uk about level crossings. it amazes me how anyone could rush across when they know a train is coming. Or in the case of Little Cornard, creep across without permission from the signalman. If nobody took chances at level crossings they would be totally safe.
Old 1st September 2010, 11:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainguy View Post
I've banged on a bit on Trainguy.co.uk about level crossings. it amazes me how anyone could rush across when they know a train is coming. Or in the case of Little Cornard, creep across without permission from the signalman. If nobody took chances at level crossings they would be totally safe.
its not network rails fault nor the train driver, it is the driver of the car

Abellio Greater Anglia (Ilford Depot)
Old 2nd September 2010, 08:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by railwaybuddy View Post
its not network rails fault nor the train driver, it is the driver of the car
I totally agree, I was not blaming Network Rail or the train driver. In the case of Little Cornard, the tanker driver drove across a private level crossing without permission from the signalman.