14:56

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Deltics...Renumbered?

Old 8th December 2009, 20:10
Station Manager

It is quite common practice in preservation for preserved members of a class to run as another long scraped fellow. Ian Riley's Black Five 45407 has often run as long scraped 45157 The Glasgow Highlander. I have several photos to prove it!

Best wishes,

John H-T.

Old 8th December 2009, 23:35

For what it's worth, and I must emphasise that I have no particular interest in whether or not another "parrafin can" escaped the torch: as a steam supporter these things are totally beneath me, the 1982 publication by the Diesel and Electric Group "Locomotive Directory. Every one there has ever been" gives the details for 55021 as cut up at Doncaster 01/1980; out of use for some two years previously.
This info was published before wikipedia, internet forums, websites, and mobile phones. BUT NOT BEFORE PRESERVATION SOCIETIES! The Deltic Preservation Society was a going concern back then and well clued up on what was happening, the cutting up of the first two 55's really spurred them in to action to raise the necessary funds.

Amused, 62440.
Old 9th December 2009, 00:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rassy View Post
Nimbus definitely exists I saw it with my own eyes. I thought that was common knowledge?

I might be wrong but I think it's stored at MoD Ashchurch in an aircraft hanger, but i'm still researching it.

p.s.
Everybody knows Wikipedia is a complete joke. No offense but you should stop being so lazy and learn how to conduct a proper research.
Ok, I'll start with this and get back to you with more. http://www.flickr.com/photos/cookeph...hy/2278561044/
Old 9th December 2009, 00:12

There's this too. Check the background and the caption. http://neil-gibson.fotopic.net/p54079839.html

And this. Hope this helps. http://www.railblue.com/timeline.htm#1980

Last edited by Eccles71B; 9th December 2009 at 00:15.
Old 9th December 2009, 00:16

Call me an old fashioned pessimist, but I reckon that last photo rather clinches it. :-(
Old 9th December 2009, 00:16

I would say that those pictures provide quite conclusive proof.
Old 9th December 2009, 02:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rowland View Post
Call me an old fashioned pessimist, but I reckon that last photo rather clinches it. :-(
Head.Nail.Hit.

Adam, what story have you heard about this? All that I can find is a vague reference to two people seeing Nimbus enter Hadley Wood tunnel a few months after it was cut up.

I've found stories of long scrapped Westerns being noted on the rails as well. Wonder what is going on here?
Old 9th December 2009, 03:20

I note that the wikipedia page on class 55's "Was last edited on 8/12/2009 at 18:16".

You certainly can't trust it when anyone with the necessary know-how can go on there and edit it. It says that 55020 is preserved at MOD Ashchurch awaiting restoration too.

Dubious!

Suspicious, 62440.

Last edited by 62440; 9th December 2009 at 03:23. Reason: tyopos
Old 9th December 2009, 09:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62440 View Post
I note that the wikipedia page on class 55's "Was last edited on 8/12/2009 at 18:16".

You certainly can't trust it when anyone with the necessary know-how can go on there and edit it. It says that 55020 is preserved at MOD Ashchurch awaiting restoration too.

Dubious!

Suspicious, 62440.
Altering the data like that with totally unconfirmed information is a BAD move, and just damages (even more ) the reputation of the whole Wilipedea database.

I did not realise that just anyone can alter the Wikipedia data.

Last edited by pre65; 9th December 2009 at 10:05.
Old 9th December 2009, 11:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev View Post
Adam, what story have you heard about this? All that I can find is a vague reference to two people seeing Nimbus enter Hadley Wood tunnel a few months after it was cut up.
That's the basics of the one I've heard Trev. It's in a book called Railway Ghosts and Phantoms, written by W B Herbert. I'd check the details in that, but I've lent my copy to a friend in Cumbria, so this is all from memory. Basically, two spotters, who where clued up on the happenings of the ECML, where surprised to hear a Deltic approaching Hadley Wood, and when it came past they both thought that it was carrying the number 55020, which they both knew had already been scrapped. So they went to the station to see if they could shed some light on the issue, but the station staff informed them that there had been no trains through for 15 minutes, or something like that. If anyone has a copy of the book to hand, can they just confirm I've got that right, or post corrections if not please?