14:13

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

which is the coldest diesel cab to drive in??

Old 5th November 2009, 19:48

which is the coldest diesel cab to drive in??

There was a comment recently about the cab in the 66's being too cold, too hot and too noisy - when you consider the hours a driver has to endure those conditions why does it seem like they would be better off driving tractors!
Is there an awards night anywhere on the planet for 'The best Diesel Electric loco Driving position / comfort / field of vision Awards??' or BEDEL's followed by the worst Diesel electric loco awards or WODEL's with such categories as worst seating / pain in the arris / coldest feet Awards!! Over to you my good fellows of the railway inclination.

Old 5th November 2009, 23:23

I reckon the coldest must've been anything with connecting doors in the nose. Whoever thought that was a good idea?
Old 6th November 2009, 03:24

The problem with a 66 or a 67 is there is no happy medium, They are either to hot or to cold you can't get it just right.

Class 37s can be pretty damn cold in the winter with the snow blowing thru doors that don't stay closed,windows that drop without notice and basically all the holes in the body work that let rain and wind howl about the extremities.

Les
Old 6th November 2009, 13:09

Duffs are a bit on the draughty side if I recall. Some of the old boys used to take bin liners with them to put their legs in during the winter. There were tales that some of them used to pinch their old ladies tights and wear those too, but Ive never heard anyone admit to that one though!
Old 6th November 2009, 14:24

Im a coach Driver and Drive an Old Leyland Tiger now when I first Started Driving it it was very cold heaters worked but not hot enogh to keep the cold out and Admitidley I wre ladies tights under my trousers to keep me leggs warm as Long Johns made the legs of the trousers too tight.

Im not ashmed of it but it jsut shows what lenghths Drivers of any Vechicle have to do too keep warm in the cab at winter time.

Gladly affter a great deal of work by my self and a few of the garage staff the coach has a canb heater fitted along with better door and window seals and the convector heaters in the saloon work alot better since we over hauled them.
Old 6th November 2009, 22:54

I think the coldest locos were 47s.
I remember years ago i caught a train in Leeds to St Austell thick with snow and bitterly cold at Leeds a class 47 on the front the poor driver looked frozen to death.
The hottest locos in my eyes were 45s and 46s if you put all the heaters and the cooker plate on they were unbearable.

ccmmick

Old 6th November 2009, 23:00

The coldest has got to be the 03 shunter we were shunting with today at work, 1st the dam thing wouldn't start, and then 2 hours later, when we finally got it going, the cab heater was broke!!! I had a jumper, little coat and big orange high vis coat on, and was still frozen :-(

My Video's
http://uk.youtube.com/steamvids
Old 6th November 2009, 23:00

You would think with all that hot water in the engine cooling system and all that electricity being generated they could have come up with a half decent cab heater.
Old 7th November 2009, 02:35

Coldest cab ive been in is class 47........................
Old 7th November 2009, 11:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
You would think with all that hot water in the engine cooling system and all that electricity being generated they could have come up with a half decent cab heater.

The with moden day vechicles is that they rely on the demister to heat the cab too and as most people ought to know that heat travels up not down or both directions thus being the reason the genraly not very good.

The best thing and what all vehcles should have in the cab is a bOX heater you can't beat them if there looked affter and serviced properly they will last for ever and raley break down providing there is water int he radiator.

Tags
diesel traction, driver cabs