16:54

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

St Pancras

Old 12th March 2009, 23:50

St Pancras

Hi. I am a newbie of a few days on the site returning to my hobby of old and I am fancying a trip to St. Pancras to view the locos and Euro stuff down there. From here in Durham I would travel to Kings Cross on an advanced single saver in both directions for a total of £28, and then make my way to St. Pancras. I fear though that on arrival I may be refused platform entry for security reasons etc. Perhaps someone reading this post could enlighten me on this. Are platform tickets obtainable? can I just walk on? or would I have to change plans and actually travel to St. Pancras to alight at this station? The latter would incur extra expense of course.
Great site by the way.
Stan.

Old 13th March 2009, 08:28

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

You can not get onto the Eurostar Platforms as there is security and I am not sure about thameslink but whenever I go I ask at the EMT barriers and they let me through to take shots. You can not use a flash though.

The station is amazing and really worth a visit

Dan
Old 13th March 2009, 11:04

It may be worthwhile going direct to St Panny on your otward journey, though it may cost extra (but you never know there might be an EMT connection ticketgoing at a good rate from York or somehwere like that). Would be a shame to get there and be told you cannot get trough. They treat it like the 'old' St Pancras and make you que for a few minutes before boarding onto trains. Though some staff let you though Ive heared opposite stories, may be worth the extra finance just to be sure.
Old 25th May 2009, 11:35

you don't really need to get on to the platforms to view the trains actually. the concourse is absolutely massive and it wraps round nearly every platform. if you feel rich you could also have a cocktail in the posh bar. You sit only centimeters away from the eurostar trains!