14:25

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

class 31's

Old 23rd July 2010, 08:26

In the 80's I frequently used the South coast to North-east services from Birmingham to Sheffield. Often the loco from Birmingham was a 31 instead of the booked 45/47. Loads were 6 or 6+van. The 31 would usually time the train to Chesterfield but could'nt do the same on the 1 in 100 climb to Bradway tunnel - we were usually 5 late into Sheffield.

As an aside, it seems incredible that they used to change the engines at Brum, sometimes having done the same at Reading!

Old 23rd July 2010, 09:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crab View Post

As an aside, it seems incredible that they used to change the engines at Brum, sometimes having done the same at Reading!
The reason for the loco changes at Reading and Birmingham New Street on the "Cross Country" trains was two fold firstly locomotive diagrams(for servicing purposes) and secondly to ease congestion at Reading and New Street by avoiding "Run Round" moves.
Old 23rd July 2010, 20:19

Wasn't a great fan of the 31's, much preferred a 25 .However, there was an occasion when I was on 31403 one evening. Went out to Hanslope junction to assist a failed 87 on an up express. The ETH cables were attached which in theory would reduce the power available. to my amazement we were able to reach 90mph once over the uphill at Tring. On arriving at Watford, a blue fault light came up. No loss of anything, so I put my cloth over it and carried on to Euston. On arrival, the 31 was steaming like a good 'un. I shut her down to keep the fumes down. This also helped her to cool down. When the demic. was removed, I returned to Bletchley light engine with no ill effects to the loco., and the class up a notch in my estimation.
Old 24th July 2010, 00:40

Compared with today's ubiquitous European wide Class 66 the Class 31 is almost a friendly little locomotive. Responsive straight air brake making it ideal for shunting. I worked on them regularly on Kings Lynn expresses and sometimes when pressed into service on Norwich - Liverpool St trains due to shortages of a 47. My abiding memory of them creeping around Stratford Station at 15mph was they sounded like a bag of cans!
Old 24th July 2010, 12:57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Aman View Post
We at Saltley worked regularly on class 31's on the Birmingham-Norwich-Birmingham trains in the days before class 156/158 were put on these trains.
We quite often had six coaches on these services and a good 31 just about managed to keep time,if you got a "ropy" one then you could forget all about running to time !On odd occasions we used to get a class 25 instead and they too made hard work of it,but you got a much better "ride" with a 25 although if there was any rough bits of track you certainly knew about it!
I remember those trains coming through Nuneaton Trent Valley platforms 5 going East and platform 2 going to "Brum".
Some of the 31s on those trains did sound rough though as I remember.
It is funny I always associate the 31 with that working because that is what I remember them most on.Those trains were never Nuneaton jobs but we saw them every day.

Old 24th July 2010, 13:00
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25250 View Post
Wasn't a great fan of the 31's, much preferred a 25 .However, there was an occasion when I was on 31403 one evening. Went out to Hanslope junction to assist a failed 87 on an up express. The ETH cables were attached which in theory would reduce the power available. to my amazement we were able to reach 90mph once over the uphill at Tring. On arriving at Watford, a blue fault light came up. No loss of anything, so I put my cloth over it and carried on to Euston. On arrival, the 31 was steaming like a good 'un. I shut her down to keep the fumes down. This also helped her to cool down. When the demic. was removed, I returned to Bletchley light engine with no ill effects to the loco., and the class up a notch in my estimation.
Hello mate, what happened to the ones that worked the Bedford branch one I beleive was named Bletchley Park ?
Are they still about...although I doubt it now, but you never know.

Old 25th July 2010, 18:06

Yeah, they're still about, but what they are used for I don't know. When working on the Bedfords with them, I had an auxiliary gen. blow on one. A representative from the owning company (whom I knew as he was an ex RSI from Bletchley) was on board at the time, so he knew it was the loco. and not me. We terminated at Woburn Sands, and was able to use the emergency crossover, and get back.
Old 25th July 2010, 19:54

31601 "BLETCHLEY PARK, STATION X". Belonged to the now defunct Fragonset Company, now owned by Railway Vehicle Engineering and based at Barrow Hill. It's now named "Gauge O Guild 1956-2006".
Old 27th July 2010, 04:30

They will always be Brush Type 2 to me! My home was Norwich and I worked in Birmingham in the early 80s so got used to the run across country... it seemed to take for ever.

I know this is not the question and answer section but who can tell me the D number of the model sold by Triang. I have a green one but, of course, the same model was sold in BR blue in later years.

Any one know?
Old 27th July 2010, 07:50

D5578 Blue Livery, D5572 Green Livery : bought to you by the power of google!