15:08

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

New Diesel Locomotive

Old 1st December 2007, 14:13

Congratulations to Freightliner for breaking away from the GM strangle hold on the market, it is about time a modern product was developed for Europe.
I am sure that cab comfort will be high on the agenda for the unions as they appear to have failed to get anything done about the older class 66 which are a nightmare to operate. The newer 66 are not so bad but still leave a lot to be desired. A modern looking class 58 great !

Old 9th October 2008, 10:52

Freighliner and GE have released more details of this loco at the Innotrans event in Berlin.

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news_view/article/2008/09/8844/freightliner_powerhaul_design_on_show.html
Old 9th October 2008, 21:32

Hate to be a Party Pooper here but what on earth happened to Britain's locomotive building industry?, as everyone knows in the steam days Britain and America exported loco's all over the world now it seems its just America, I never thought I would see the day that American power would run on British steel in such a big way, looks like Britain is destined to be like Australia where just about everything is American built or built under license in Australia, one of the things I used to admire most about locomotives in Britain was that they were unique to that country, I have nothing against American loco's but I guess I am just a little sad that the American loco's are getting a bit of a stranglehold on the UK.

David
Old 9th October 2008, 21:47

Have to agree David.
Only the Americans seem willing to build diesels to suit our restrictive loading gauge. Perhaps it might be a different story if we had more electrified lines and needed new electric freight locos ......................We could then be flooded with German stuff.
Old 9th October 2008, 22:15

Dont think the engineering now exists in the country to pull a project together like this at the right price
Old 9th October 2008, 22:36

David, why not go a step further and ask what happened to British heavy industry. We make nothing do we.
Paul.
Old 10th October 2008, 00:03

This is very sad, we in Oz are in the same boat all we do is supply the raw materials and make very little ourselves, nearly all Aussie owned brands have been snapped up by large overseas companies.

I dont think the Americans have it all their own way though, I did read where I think Venezuela are buying 200 new diesel locomotives from China, if China can spread their wings with loco's like they have with everything else even GE may find themselves in some kind of price war.

David.
Old 10th October 2008, 00:22

David,
You asked about the British Locomotive Industry, it is now in a small shed in Darlington.
One loco every 18 years!!!!!
John (G)
Old 10th October 2008, 01:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
David,
You asked about the British Locomotive Industry, it is now in a small shed in Darlington.
One loco every 18 years!!!!!
John (G)
Crikey John that is even worse than Oz, I thought Hunslet were building a replacement for the Class 08 Shunter?, if they do I guess it will better than nothing.

I used to be proud of Britain's manufacturing might, Ships, Locomotives and Cars, I can remember when train loads of cars used to leave the Longbridge Austin Factory in the 1950s, hard to believe that many now come from Japan and Korea, I think we lost the plot somewhere along the line., one day it will come back to bite us on the you know what.

David.
Old 10th October 2008, 01:09

I was of course referring to a main line locomotive although that could also be termed Model Engineering in 12 inch to the foot scale however Hunslet do make the little Quarry locos to order.
If I win the lottery I'll have one and a circle of two foot track to play on.
John (G)