12:41

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

New Trains Northern Rail?

Old 2nd July 2014, 21:03

New Trains Northern Rail?

Hi all,

We are a small group set up by Northern Rail commutors, we want new and better trains out of Northern. Please sign our petition.

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...rains-northern

Old 3rd July 2014, 20:26

I went past Northern's Allerton depot in Liverpool yesterday, and right at far side of depot could just make out set of carriages in what I call First Transpennine Express livery, as train I was on went further could make out the cab end and its a class 319, ( I suppose from down south ) I believe they are the class that's going to take over the Liverpool - Manchester line from December when the line is fully electrified. So again Northern getting old stock to play with.
Old 3rd July 2014, 20:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmoly View Post
I went past Northern's Allerton depot in Liverpool yesterday, and right at far side of depot could just make out set of carriages in what I call First Transpennine Express livery, as train I was on went further could make out the cab end and its a class 319, ( I suppose from down south ) I believe they are the class that's going to take over the Liverpool - Manchester line from December when the line is fully electrified. So again Northern getting old stock to play with.
John
it wasn't another 322 was it
Northern had two sets doing Doncaster - Leeds when I visited Doncaster it was a surprise to me

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 3rd July 2014, 21:03

yup as johnmoly said there will lots of trains coming your way in the next few years.

At some stage in the future there will be cascades of 313, 317, 319 and 321 stock from the current FCC TL & GN routes.
Old 3rd July 2014, 21:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcaravanner View Post
John
it wasn't another 322 was it
Northern had two sets doing Doncaster - Leeds when I visited Doncaster it was a surprise to me
Don't think so Gray. Just had a look at a class 322 cab end and it was definitely not like that, saw a photo of a 319 just recently by coincidence so I'm sure that was it. Also noticed London Connect trains have the same type livery so assume it was that, as I said it was parked far end of yard and apart from foliage had train washing plant in the way as well. Know some of those units will be maintained at Allerton but surprised to see one so soon.

By the way, I did sign petition as I use Northern quite often from Liverpool Lime Street.
Old 5th July 2014, 03:14

From a photo caption on page 9 of the current Railway Magazine; "The first class 319 has been cascaded from First Capital Connect to Northern, and on June 2th was hauled north from Bedford to Allerton by type 5 No.57306. The EMU will allow fitter and driver training to begin, with a further 13 units to eventually follow."
Hope this helps.

Regards, 62440.

Last edited by 62440; 5th July 2014 at 03:17.
Old 5th July 2014, 09:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62440 View Post
From a photo caption on page 9 of the current Railway Magazine; "The first class 319 has been cascaded from First Capital Connect to Northern, and on June 2th was hauled north from Bedford to Allerton by type 5 No.57306. The EMU will allow fitter and driver training to begin, with a further 13 units to eventually follow."
Hope this helps.

Regards, 62440.
Thanks for that 62440.