11:57

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Whitemoor Yard viewing.

Old 28th October 2009, 08:02

Whitemoor Yard viewing.

Seeing a photo of Whitemoor Yard (March) in the gallery got me wondering if there were any worthwhile vantage points for photos / viewing ?

It's not too far away from me and I fancy a day out.

Anything else worth viewing in the area ??

PS

I found this site whilst searching for info

http://www.trainspots.co.uk/locpage.php?ts_number=110

Last edited by pre65; 28th October 2009 at 08:29.
Old 28th October 2009, 08:36

http://www.trainspots.co.uk/locpage.php?ts_number=108

That link gives you details on a bridge that enables you to view trains entering and leaving Whitemoor Yard.

My Rail Photos @ http://craigrailpics.fotopic.net/

My Rail Videos @ http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=21C123
Old 28th October 2009, 20:24

Unfortunately March is but a shadow of its former self and as bleak and desolate as those photos would suggest. Most of the trains work engineering projects and are marshelled to take fresh ballast out and used/contaminated ballast in for re-cycling. The trains mainly run at night and weekends to tie in with engineering works so dont be disappointed if you stand on Norwood Road railway bridge and only see wagons stationary in the yard!
Old 28th October 2009, 20:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by klordger1900 View Post
Unfortunately March is but a shadow of its former self and as bleak and desolate as those photos would suggest. Most of the trains work engineering projects and are Marshalled to take fresh ballast out and used/contaminated ballast in for re-cycling. The trains mainly run at night and weekends to tie in with engineering works so don't be disappointed if you stand on Norwood Road railway bridge and only see wagons stationary in the yard!
Thanks for that Klordger ! Perhaps I won't go after all.
Old 28th October 2009, 23:50

As klordger1900 says, there isn't that much to see from the Norwood Road Bridge, but there is a footbridge less than half-a-mile from it, where you can get most Freight entering or leaving Whitemoor.

I generally use the station itself for seeing any passing freight and yet to be asked to leave. Then again, I do use the station every week for other purposes than just watching freight.
Old 29th October 2009, 09:17

It used to be a place i used to visit in the steam days so busy .now bit of a waste of time There was a pub by the norwood road bridge that had a few relics on the wall dont know if is still there .Im sure bramley man will know.
Old 29th October 2009, 21:25

There's plenty happening at Cambridge between now and Christmas - especially steam specials. Thats a platform I could frequent on many a Saturday if I were a bit closer!
Check out the mainline steam website for running times nearer to the actual dates. Enjoy!
Old 30th October 2009, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrat View Post
It used to be a place i used to visit in the steam days so busy .now bit of a waste of time There was a pub by the norwood road bridge that had a few relics on the wall dont know if is still there .Im sure bramley man will know.
I rarely go up there myself, but as I will be in the same vicinity hopefully Sunday, I can check this out for you all with pleasure.