14:46

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

In-cab signalling on UK rail lines begins.

Old 5th December 2023, 16:36

In-cab signalling on UK rail lines begins.

This historic sea-change seems to have been underplayed.

The southern section of the East Coast Main Line has been designated as the first piece of UK railway to be converted to in-cab signalling, and the Northern City Line
(Finsbury Park to Moorgate) is now running ETCS Level 2 (Both lineside signals AND in-cab sgnals).

Linky here .... http:///www.railjournal.com/signalli...ine-in-london/

This should improve headway significantly (& so punctuality) as the NCL is a pair of old single bore tube tunnels which are full of winding curves where each signal is out of sight until you're on top of it, causing drivers to crawl slowly if they're on a yellow (3 Aspect signalling).

Cheers, John

Last edited by Beeyar Wunby; 5th December 2023 at 16:40. Reason: Stupid URL pasting
Old 6th December 2023, 16:00

I thought the Cambrian Line from Pwllheli to Harlech was the first line to have the ERTMS in cab signalling. IS this something different.
Old 7th December 2023, 22:21

I think the point is that the Cambrian Line was a test bed - a bit like a sandbox where they were able to experiment and fix issues. They were able to experience situations which would have constituted a major incident on a main line, but which can be regarded as 'growing pains' under the protection of the safety system they had in place. Equipment could be assessed and modified.

There were plenty of problems to iron out. According to Wonkpedia..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki
An initial assessment by the operating company was not favourable: problems with the design and installation of the in-cab displays were identified and infrastructure failures included the control system becoming "confused" by common train movements, such as changes of speed or shunting into the depot
However on the ECML route they are using off-the-shelf train and lineside equipment in a turnkey installation. Everything needs to be working from the first day of operations.The NCL is a busy (although arguably tidal) commuter line which serves the business centre of London.

Presumably if the digital side goes lairy they can stop all movements and revert to lineside signalling, but it may cause significant disruption to services. If enough trains stack up it will tail back to Finsbury Park on the Up Side, and this will impact ECML services. So this could be quite embarassing if it goes significantly wrong.

As always we wait with baited breath....

John

Last edited by Beeyar Wunby; 8th December 2023 at 14:15.
Old 8th December 2023, 16:08

I agree the Cambrian Line was a test bed however it has been running succcesfully for several years and the experience has enabled Notwork Rail to proceed with installation on the ECML and other places. I was just questioning the use of the term 'First piece of railway' to be converted. If it said first mainline I think that is more correct.
Old 8th December 2023, 17:38

Yes I agree.