11:52

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Railway Forum TV Discussion

Heart Beat TV series

Old 27th November 2020, 23:02

The last one built was named Vulcan when new, because it was built at the Vulcan Foundry .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD_Austerity_2-8-0.

Last edited by pre65; 27th November 2020 at 23:10.
Old 27th November 2020, 23:23

Thanks Philip, you can usually find things I can't.
Old 28th November 2020, 02:14

G'day All,
Crikey, copped some responses to me question.
I will hafta wait until I am next at the local library to snavel the Heart Beat episode from You Tube.
Did WD soot belchers possess a different shaped tender to normal BR soot belchers ?
I vaguely recollect now that I have squizzed an image of a WD soot belcher in the forum gallery.
But, cannot remember what it was.
Finding episodes of Heart Beat on the idiot box here is a hit and miss affair.
Naturally all repeats that are only hurled on occasionally.
Steve.
Old 28th November 2020, 09:33

The tenders of the WD 2-8-0 and 2-10-0 locos were certainly of a different shape. They were manufactured under wartime conditions – had to be purely functional and employ the minimum of materials. In most other types the engineer produced tenders following his own sense of style, complementing the loco design and perpetuating his company's traditions.
Old 28th November 2020, 11:17

There is a video on YouTube about the WD 2-8-0 on the Keighley and Worth Valley railway.

Don't worry, the first little bit is silent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chenz0xF3NE

PS Steve, can you listen to sound in the library ? If not have you got any headphones ? Most computers have a 3.5mm stereo headphone socket.

Last edited by pre65; 28th November 2020 at 11:22.
Old 28th November 2020, 11:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilersuit View Post
The tenders of the WD 2-8-0 and 2-10-0 locos were certainly of a different shape. They were manufactured under wartime conditions – had to be purely functional and employ the minimum of materials. In most other types the engineer produced tenders following his own sense of style, complementing the loco design and perpetuating his company's traditions.
I believe some austerity 2-8-0 had a self weighing tender, but I have no idea why, or what a self weighing tender was used for ?
Old 28th November 2020, 18:24

I read somewhere that some WD’s were purchased just for their tenders, typically I can’t find it now – I have this problem in supermarkets.
Old 29th November 2020, 03:53

G'day All,
Time at the library is of a premium when I am there.
Multi-tasking.
I grab video clips downloaded from You Tuber etc to view at home later.
YES, can't make noise viewing video at the library.
And, I don't bother to cart earplugs.
Depending upon library server usage, it can be much faster to download a video clip than view it.
Cart it home on me usb stick and jam that into me media player at home to view.
A self weighing tender, HMMM.
Might be something to do with what I squizzed in some LMS training video clips.
ECONOMICAL usage of coal and water by crews.
Also BR management whinging about the cost of coal and water consumed.
Crews overloading the bunker with coal which might tumble off enroute and snot cattle on platforms.
Or chatting and not watching the water column spurting excess water out of the tank.
We did adopt track weighbridges here, but not for locos originally, only cargo.
Then more recently static weighing for entire trains trundling along.
Plus, WD soot belchers might have had to trundle over light pound rail in foreign lands.
So, would be handy to know just how much weight was on the tender axles.
Steve.
Old 29th November 2020, 10:53

Have to be quiet in the library...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJn-Kr1E4HM

Tony
Old 30th November 2020, 22:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereward View Post
2-8-0 8F WD, In my Ian Allan they are numbered 90000 to 90732 then under that Vulcan. Any idea what that refers to?
935 of the WD Austerity 2-8-0s were built between 1943-45. After WWII 200 of the locos were purchased by the LNER, becoming class O7 & a further 533 were purchased by the British Transport Commission in 1948. Together with the ex-LNER locos, the 733 locomotives were numbered 90000-90732 by BR, the last of these No.90732 was named 'Vulcan', after the Vulcan Foundry where it was built.
None of these ex-BR locos survived, but No.79257 has been preserved at the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway & given the No.90733 - the next number in the BR sequence. This loco had been returned to the UK having seen service in Sweden post-war.

The 2-10-0 version of the WD Austerity had the same power output as the the 2-8-0, but with the added driving axle gave the locos a lower axle loading, therefore a greater route availability. 150 of the 2-10-0s were built between 1943-45 and 25 of these were acquired by BR becoming Nos.90750-90774. As with the 2-8-0s, none of the ex-BR locos survive, but three locos are preserved in the UK, plus one in The Netherlands, and a handful survive in Greece although some of them are dumped and derelict.
No.600 'Gordon' (originally No.3651) is preserved at the Severn Valley Railway and it's entire career was spent in WD service, latterly at the Longmoor Military Railway.
Nos.3652 & 3672 saw post-war service in Greece before being repatriated in the early 1980s. No.3652 moved initially to the Mid Hants Railway and was restored in Longmoor Military Railway livery as No.601 'Sturdee', before moving to the North Yorkshire Moors Railway where it was repainted into BR livery as No.90775 - the next in the BR numbering sequence. 90775 later moved to the North Norfolk Railway and has since been named 'The Royal Norfolk Regiment'.
No.3672 was returned to steam at the Lavender Line, Isfield and named 'Dame Vera Lynn'. No.3672 also later moved to the NYMR where it is currently awaiting it's next overhaul.
No.73755 'Longmoor' is preserved at the Nederlands Spoorwegmuseum in Utrecht.

Tony