08:02

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Light Rail and Metros

Manchester metrolink-ripoff prices

Old 26th November 2008, 15:29

Manchester metrolink-ripoff prices

I used to live in sheffield:-

Tram/Bus Dayrider - £3.50

Unlimited travel on Stagecoach Supertram and Stagecoach bus services in Sheffield until the end of service on the day of issue. This ticket also includes travel into the Dronfield, Eckington and Mosborough areas. Please note that the £3 Bus only Dayrider is not valid on the Tram.

Now I live in manchester, where they charge depending on the time of day, not only that but its much dearer and dependant on how many 'zones' you pass through. The nearest to the above is the 'Metro max' which is £5.60, only valid on the tram and peak/off-peak travel allowed.

The system One daysaver allows unltd travel on trams and buses but only offpeak for £5.50.

In December we vote on the congestion charge, which basically means anyone travelling in cars/vans within the M60 circle or the inner manchester ring road will get charged for the priviledge at peak times, either once or twice depending if they cross only 1 or 2 boundarys.

In forcing drivers off the roads they will inevitably end up on the tram, paying GMPTE's peak rate surcharge.

Why is it that GMPTE allow or are allowed to charge for peak times and if the congestion charge gets agreed should they drop it altogether?

The trams we are talking about by the way are identical.

Old 26th November 2008, 15:40

Because they are crooks like everyone else who are "robbing" us daily.
Welcome to the forum, by the way.
Paul.
Old 26th November 2008, 20:44
Station Manager

Welcome to the forum Bekas. Looks like Manchester is in the same boat as Bristol, except we don't have a tram service. The Bus fares in Bristol are some of the highest in the country. All the main routes in and out of the city have bus only lanes (but First still want more). The city council are now starting residential parking zones around the centre with a £30 charge for the first car and a toll for driving into the city. We have cycle lanes everywhere which all goes to narrow the roads and cause more congestion.
They have come a cropper in one or two places such as spending over £500,000:00 on a new roundabout near the Parkway Station only to find they had to pull it all down as the buses could not get around it. There was also a builders yard just up the road where the lorries also could not negotiate the new roundabout. I am lucky as having past my 60th birthday I get a free bus pass. This does not help with work as there are no buses to my place of work in time for my 07:00 start, and with a 7.5 mile trip to work and an artificial knee I cant ride a bike. So I will have to pay to leave the city and return if I want to work on.
Old 27th November 2008, 02:03

And people are whining about the prices in Stockholm.
For £55,37 you can travel unlimited for 30 days in all zones (except for Gnesta and Bålsta)
for £3,21 you can travel for 1 hour in one zone
and then £1,60 per new zone (so for £3,21 + £1,60 + £1,60 you can travel for one hour in all zones)

But in Manchester they seem to have a more complicated system with peak hour prices and stuff like that.
And when they have different prices on trams and buses, then it is even more
It should be easy to understand the ticket system.
Not like Copenhagen with far too many zones...