00:07

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Peak Rails Link to Network Rail at Matlock

Old 19th June 2011, 20:02
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
Who is it that owns Haddon hall?

I can't understand why they should have a problem, as the line passes through a tunnel, and cannot be seen. The reinstatement would only work in their favour. Why wouldn't you like the idea of an extra 100,00 visitors each year with no extra pressure on local roads?
Considering the enourmous benefit to Derbyshire, and the other heritage railways in the area.

I have taken note that without the line from Buxton to Matlock, it is very difficult to travel to derbyshires many heritage railways by rail from Liverpool and Manchester areas without taking time consuming detours.
I think that maybe a federation of derbyshire heritage railways would be very beneficial, including:
Peak Rail,
The Ecclesbourne Valley Railway,
The Midland railway,
The Steeple Grange light railway,
Crich Tramway village, and
The derbyshire dales light railway.

This alliance could be open also to local hotels and B&Bs, along with other local attractions and TOCs. Just a thought. Together you could be quite a voice.
Sadly everything that Ianrail says is true about Peak Rail making any further progress beyond Rowsley. The cost of rebuilding the bridge across the A6 at Rowsley plus the opposition of the Duke of Rutland make it highly unlikely that Peak Rail will reach Bakewell, let alone Buxton in my lifetime. The Duke of Rutland has said that he would suport the reopening of the line if it were to be part of the national network. DBS have looked at reopening the line as a single track frieght route but have not done anything about it.

In my view it would make a lot of sense for Peak Rail to extend to Bakewell to relieve conjestion on the A6. Beyond there the maintenance of the route through the tunnels and over all the bridges becomes much more challenging!

As far as traveling from Liverpool is concerned. I found the route from Ambergate to Liverpool via Derby and Crewe quite reasonable!

Finally it would be great if the Heritge Railways you list could cooperate more closely. It would make a lot of sense!

Best wishes,

John H-T.

Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 19th June 2011, 20:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
Also, it has been realised that the line would be a valuble freight corridor, so perhaps a similar situation to the Loughborough gap will arise where freight/quarry companies pay for part of the rebuilding.
As I understand it the quarry people have said they have no interest in an alternative to the Hope Valley Line, if they are who you are talking about.

Though this was a while ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H-T View Post
As far as traveling from Liverpool is concerned. I found the route from Ambergate to Liverpool via Derby and Crewe quite reasonable!
Expensive compared to via Sheffield and no quicker - or it was

Last edited by wyvern; 19th June 2011 at 20:25.
Old 19th June 2011, 21:00

Interesting.
If Peak rail were to set a goal of running a community service, like that of the Weardale railway with DMUs during weekdays in quieter times of the year, and therefore marketing itself as more than a heritage operation, the Duke's views would be more positive.
in addition to that follow the lead of other heritage railways (including the ffestiniog railway) and work with royal mail to start a liscenced letter and parcels service for communities along the line.
Butter him up somehow.
The possibilities are endless.
Old 19th June 2011, 21:19
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyvern View Post
As I understand it the quarry people have said they have no interest in an alternative to the Hope Valley Line, if they are who you are talking about.

Though this was a while ago.

Expensive compared to via Sheffield and no quicker - or it was
I don't know what DRS's idea was but I think it was for a wider spread of freight not just quarry traffic. Freight paths are getting more difficult to find and it might have been an idea to try and get round that.

The way we did the trip to Liverpool was to get a day return from Derby to Crewe and then another one from Crewe to Liverpool. It was considerably cheaper than the day return Derby to Liverpool. It was suggested to us by the lady in the ticket office at Derby!

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 20th June 2011, 10:52

The study done by Scott Wilson in 2004 for Derbyshire County Council concluded that a reopened line was unlikely to be attractive as a strategic freight route, & would attract only limited quarry traffic for the south. Admittedly this was 2004, but both EWS / DB and Nework Rail have looked at it since and come to the same conclusion that reopening costs outway any benefits. (the minimum cost solution is for a passenger-only line, single track with loops capable of an hourly service). For anybody interested the full Scott Wilson report is still available on the DCC website:-

http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/images/...tcm9-21359.pdf.

and a DCC summary here:

https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/Images...04CAB13116.pdf.

Much as I would like to see electric-hauled container trains heading across Monsal Head viaduct, I think it is very unlikely
Old 29th June 2011, 13:31

For latest pictures of Peak Rail's platform work on their extension into Matlock please see Friends of the Derwent Valley Line website news at http://www.fdvl.org.uk/News/LatestNews3

We plan to have pictures of the opening events on 2nd July soon after that date at http://www.fdvl.org.uk/News

Geoff
Friends of the Derwent Valley Line
http://www.fdvl.org.uk

Last edited by geoff10; 29th June 2011 at 13:41.
Old 29th June 2011, 17:35

I believe the SWK report of 2004 could now be considered out-of-date.

I doubt if they forecast HS2, or the increase in intercontinental freight via the channel tunnel resulting from the opening up of the rail markets to private ventures and the standardization of rolling stock. Not to mention multifuel/voltage locos and europewide signalling standardization.

As has been said, there is a shortage of freight paths for an increasing freight market and this together with increasing passenger numbers will put pressure on lines like the derwent valley to be reopened. The runes tell me that the pressure to reopen to Buxton will only increase over the coming years and it is important that those of us interested in seeing this ensure that the subject remains in the public domain and receives high exposure..
Old 29th June 2011, 17:50
Station Manager

Matlock update 29.6.2011

Here is the latest photos from Matlock, taken to-day. Everything looks ready for the big weekend. Everything was calm to-day but I understand that it was a bit hectic on Monday!

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6294628rf.jpg (110.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg P6294611rf.jpg (113.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg P6294609rf.jpg (93.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg P6294610rf.jpg (101.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 29th June 2011, 19:22

Thanks John..
Old 29th June 2011, 20:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H-T View Post
Here is the latest photos from Matlock, taken to-day. Everything looks ready for the big weekend. Everything was calm to-day but I understand that it was a bit hectic on Monday!

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Thanks for the update John, its looking great and I love the flower bed, nice touch.
Regards
Phil