15:02

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Saying hello

Old 27th February 2024, 19:27

Saying hello

Hello all, new to all the train stuff to be honest, I used to do the numbers when I was a child but soon got bored of it..50 yrs later i found myself on platform 4 with the camera and am slowly getting drawn it!..also wanted to ask is what sites I could use to find where / with regards to photographing the steam trains and other specials?

Last edited by David640; 27th February 2024 at 19:31.
Old 27th February 2024, 20:58
Station Manager

Hello David and welcome to the forum from all the staff, enjoy and all the best. I was on Doncaster Station a week ago to photograph some of the Azuma trains.
Old 27th February 2024, 21:04
Admin

Hi David welcome aboard, feel free to join in where ever you wish.
cheers,
Andy
Old 3rd March 2024, 19:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by David640 View Post
Hello all, new to all the train stuff to be honest, I used to do the numbers when I was a child but soon got bored of it..50 yrs later i found myself on platform 4 with the camera and am slowly getting drawn it!..also wanted to ask is what sites I could use to find where / with regards to photographing the steam trains and other specials?
Hi David, welcome to the forum.
I assume you're talking about main line specials, so these are good places to start:

Realtimes trains - https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/
Enter your the location to see what's passing through. You can filter by TOC (Train Operating Company, such as LS for Locomotive Services, or WR for West Coast); type of service (use non-passenger services for charters); and you can narrow down the time period.
One note with this, all the steam hauled services are normally listed as "diesel hauled" - I think this is just because they haven't got a steam hauled option!

Railadvent - https://www.railadvent.co.uk/railtours and Railway Herald - https://www.railwayherald.com/railtours
Both of these websites have a railtours section which gives more details about the tour including the route & intended motive power. When timings become available, they link to Realtime trains (as above).

Hope this helps,

Tony