14:58

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Flying Scotsman trespassers spark track ban threat

Old 12th May 2019, 10:55

Flying Scotsman trespassers spark track ban threat

The Flying Scotsman could be banned from main line tracks after people trespassed to catch a glimpse of it.

There was chaos between Derby and Birmingham last Sunday as fans vied to spot the legendary loco on its UK tour.

The situation was blamed for a string of delays to normal services, with reports of people refusing to move when challenged by drivers.

Network Rail said a ban would be a "move of last resort" but could not be ruled out if lives were being risked.

It would not let "a few thoughtless lawbreakers" cause dangers and delays, it said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-48229400

Old 12th May 2019, 12:19

Ok, hope I don't upset people with this rant!
The issue of trespassing to see Flying Scotsman was raised on Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 during the week & it was discussed that this never used to happen in the past. I wasn't around in steam days but the stories of bunking sheds and the photos of crowds on the tracks for the 15 guinea special or when Scotsman first took to the main line under the ownership of Alan Peglar shows that this isn't a new phenomenon.
I think the difference now is that in the past people knew they were trespassing and they would either be dealt with severely by the railway or the police, or the authorities would turn a blind eye & in which case people would take responsibility for their own actions. These days, the railways (and every organisation in general) is in fear of litigation, and even though the trespassers are breaking the law, the railways would be responsible if anything untoward were to happen to them. This then become s a vicious cycle as if people feel that nothing will happen to them, then this encourages more people to do it. I know they can be fined for trespassing, but I wonder how many actually do get fined.
Within all this, the ones that suffer the most are the drivers, driving on their nerves, not knowing what the trespassers are going to do as the train approaches and having to run under caution as a result.
I can understand network rail's position on this & running under caution protects the drivers somewhat, but the trespassers seem to get away with it, spoiling main line steam for everyone, not to mention delaying other passengers as well.

Tony
Old 12th May 2019, 19:09

Location: Lancashire (but the GPO will insist on telling me I live in Merseyside)
It's been said more than once that the people who trespass to see Scotsman are more than likely general public rather than rail enthusists. A bit alarming to me to see the picture going around of two individuals who, by the looks of their kit, are more likely to be railway photographers

KEN
Old 12th May 2019, 20:34

I've seen that photo Ken, with the Voyager in the background, taken by the driver of that unit. Yes these 2 look a bit more enthusiast than general public. Hopefully they will be identified and dealt with appropriately.

Tony
Old 18th May 2019, 08:18

A TV series about the return of yer Flying Scotsman soot belcher has just commenced here.
I viewed the first episode last nite.
Ah, but it did bring back memories of the thing being down-under.
That apparently will feature in the episode next week.
Yes, hoards of nutters trackside to view it up yonder.
If they decide to cancel main line tours with it due to trespass concerns, you lot could ship it back down-under.
We'll run it around for a while.
Steve.