04:54

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Narrow Gauge

Narrow gauge "mission impossible" steams again at Launceston

Old 1st December 2011, 18:59

Narrow gauge "mission impossible" steams again at Launceston

'Dorothea' – a narrow gauge steam locomotive of a type built by Hunslet of Leeds for use in the slate quarries of Wales has just celebrated her 110th birthday by being steamed as a complete locomotive for the first time since her restoration from near scrap condition.

The locomotive is owned by Kay Bowman, of the Launceston Steam Railway, who has spent the last twenty-two years carrying out a painstaking restoration of the locomotive that was regarded by many as the 'Mission Impossible' of narrow gauge projects.

Acquired from the late Dave Walker in 1989 as a kit of parts – albeit with a number missing - work had reached a stage in 2001 enabling 'Dorothea' to celebrate her centenary by steaming with a boiler and saddle tank borrowed from sister locomotive 'Covertcoat'. Continued work has seen her own boiler restored and passed for service, and her saddle tank repaired, as well as a number of parts either being acquired or made.

Kay's aim throughout has been to use as much of the original locomotive as possible, to retain 'Dorothea's' history and character, and this has led to the restoration taking much more time than otherwise would have been the case. For example, a new saddle tank could have been made (as it has for 'Covertcoat') in far less time than carefully replacing just those sections which were unfit for further service, yet the longer route has resulted in a locomotive that oozes character.

Throughout the restoration Kay has been able to call upon the expertise of her engineer husband, Nigel, who has been involved with this type of locomotive since purchasing his own – 'Lilian' – as a teenager. However, she has been determined to do as much of the work herself as possible. “There are some tasks where I just don't have the physical strength required” she says, “so I have been grateful for the help I have been given. In any case, sometimes two (or more) pairs of hands are needed, but otherwise I have restored, made or fitted the various parts myself.”

'Dorothea' was steamed on Sunday 13th November and taken successfully the full length of the railway to Newmills. All went well and without incident, the engine performing very well. “It gives a real sense of achievement to be at the regulator of a live engine after so many years of work.” said Kay; “It will take me a while to become used to the engine and how it needs to be managed, but I am very pleased with the way that everything has gone today.”

A certain amount of finishing work is required before 'Dorothea' can enter full service – draw-gear needs to be fitted, together with an air-pump for the continuous brakes throughout the train. The cab has to be completed, and then the locomotive is to be painted in its original livery. Having started life hauling slate wagons in the Dorothea Quarry in North Wales, a new life will soon start, hauling passenger trains on the Launceston Steam Railway.

Photograph here.

Old 1st December 2011, 19:43
Station Manager

Congratulation to Kay Bowman for staying with this project and seeing it through to conclusion. I have watched the project develop as I have oftern stopped at Launceston on my way down to Helston.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 2nd December 2011, 22:09

A very well done for restoring another fine loco. Amazing machines those quarry hunslets.
Old 3rd December 2011, 10:16

Location: Lancashire (but the GPO will insist on telling me I live in Merseyside)
Well done to Kay Bowman all concerned with the restoration. Quarry Hunslets are like Black 5s - you can't ever have enough of them.

KEN