00:38

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Please forgive me

Old 19th April 2010, 14:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
"Clan Line" is most certainly NOT a Britannia pacific !
Again forgive my ignorance is "Brittania Pacific" different from "Pacific"?

I found this-(thumbnail)

35028 “at home” outside Stewarts Lane Shed
during Members’ Open Day 2010
(Photograph by Peter Starks)

Merchant Navy Class Locomotive
No. 35028 "Clan Line"

Clan Line is an ex British Railways "Pacific" Class (4-6-2) steam locomotive owned and maintained to mainline standard by the Merchant Navy Locomotive Preservation Society. She is based in London at Stewarts Lane Depot, and she returned to steam in November 2006 after a major overhaul which took five and a half years to complete.

on this site: http://www.clan-line.org.uk/

Again I am not arguing I only have my stepfathers opinion on these things and an ability to look into stuff online.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35028.jpg (125.8 KB, 2 views)

http://www.davidtruman.co.uk/trains

Please share the link with other enthusiasts.
Old 19th April 2010, 20:13

Dear Roger,
It may seem daft to anyone who doesn't analyse what is in their view i.e. a non artist, but if you look at photographs, you will see that sleepers are ALWAYS horizontal. I know that when you look at real railway track this isn't apparent.
It also follows that water is flat in the horizontal position. Try drawing a river with ripples NOT in the horizontal plane and you will see that it looks wrong.

On the "Pacific", this name is given for the 4-6-2 wheel arrangement of the loco. There are many different types of Pacific such as; Merchant Navies (Clan Line), Britannias, A4's (Mallard) and so on. Each class is different, but thay are all Pacifics.

Regards, Tony.
Old 26th April 2010, 14:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Dear Roger,
It may seem daft to anyone who doesn't analyse what is in their view i.e. a non artist, but if you look at photographs, you will see that sleepers are ALWAYS horizontal. I know that when you look at real railway track this isn't apparent.
It also follows that water is flat in the horizontal position. Try drawing a river with ripples NOT in the horizontal plane and you will see that it looks wrong.

On the "Pacific", this name is given for the 4-6-2 wheel arrangement of the loco. There are many different types of Pacific such as; Merchant Navies (Clan Line), Britannias, A4's (Mallard) and so on. Each class is different, but thay are all Pacifics.

Regards, Tony.
OK I think I understand "horizontal" in relation to the land! not "horizontal" in terms of picture position!
Thanks for the Pacific clarification.

http://www.davidtruman.co.uk/trains

Please share the link with other enthusiasts.
Old 26th April 2010, 14:54

am not too sure cos although I'm only 21, i do know that railway tracks have to be parallel and horizontal. I'm not being mean, just being honest.
Old 26th April 2010, 18:07

Dear Roger,

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. The majority of people do not register the detail of what they are looking at in real life, so the fact that sleepers are always horizontal is not apparent. If you look at a photograph, such a thing is more apparent because you tend to take in more detail. If the sleepers looked anything but horizontal, the track would look twisted.