00:27

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Javelin train speeds into London (BBC News)

Old 12th December 2008, 11:12

Javelin train speeds into London (BBC News)

A government minister travels on a new high-speed rail service from Kent that will transport Olympic Games spectators.

More from BBC News...

Old 12th December 2008, 18:38

We can ALL start cheering when these speeds are sustained between Paddington (or Waterloo) and the South West of England. It is a pity that the olympics arn't being held here in Devon.
Old 21st December 2008, 20:37

train speed to Devon

As far as I remember, the High Speed Trains from Paddington to Bristol and Plymouth, long ago named "intercity 125", were the fastest commercial DIESEL HAULED trains in the world.

Devon has not always been forgotten!
Old 21st December 2008, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
. It is a pity that the olympics arn't being held here in Devon.
The Yachting IS being held at Weymouth. Bet they'll have fun getting there from London !
Old 22nd December 2008, 12:31

I find one aspect of this sad. The train is Japanese built. Politicians have a lot to answer for in my book. Why dont we build trains anymore? What is wrong with British engineers, building British trains?
I mean British trains, not a kit of parts to put together after they have been sent from abroad.
We dont build them because for as long as I can remember we dont back our own people, we just sell our industry off for next to nowt.
Rant over.
Paul.
Old 23rd December 2008, 02:03

Paul I wholeheartedly agree that I would like to see these, as British made ... but ... at least they're not the b* awful 465's that just haven't been maintained internally or the 'standing room only' 466's that I seem to spend half my life on. Compared with the 357's on LTS that I use the rest of the time, they are grim! We really are the poor relations in North Kent at the present.

I'm so excited about my journey time to London coming down to 17 minutes (from Ebbsfleet to SPI) instead of the normal 50 ish to Charring Cross or Cannon Street and having to suffer the interminable bottle neck and slow speed running at London Bridge, at least until the Thameslink works are completed - when they eventually start. Yipee!

With Crossrail coming to my part of the world at Abbey Wood (sometime) and DLR from Woolwich Arsenal in the new year, I'm going to be spoilt for choice. As much as it grieves me to say it, the planners have got it at least half right and we could well get rid of one of the cars.
Old 24th December 2008, 14:11

But how much are they going to charge you for the privilege ?
Old 24th December 2008, 20:46
Station Manager

.... and if you really want to you can soon have your own 4mm model of Javelin!!!