06:17

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Events & Dates for your Diary

Free Online Screening - The Last Train to Woodford Halse

Old 31st July 2012, 22:43

Free Online Screening - The Last Train to Woodford Halse

Hi everyone

I’m Emma Morley, the Development Manager at the Media Archive for Central England. We are a registered charity and exist to preserve the screen heritage of the East and West Midlands and connect people with the material we hold through a range of projects, community work and screenings. You can read more about us on our website at www.macearchive.org

I wanted to let you all know that MACE have just begun to stream the first of 10 time limited online ‘screenings’ and the first is a compilation of footage of Midlands railways in the Beeching Era, ‘The Last Train to Woodford Halse’.

The compilation film can be viewed online on Vimeo at https://vimeo.com/46279896 and on our blog at www.macearchive.wordpress.com until 5pm on 24th August. It is 32 minutes long and it is free to view. If you wish to, you are welcome to embed it into your own sites if you run them yourselves, for this period.

This is a new concept for us and we hope you will all enjoy watching the compilation.

Thanks for reading.

Emma

Old 1st August 2012, 04:26

That was quite a heavy dose of nostalgia. Views of Birmingham New Street and the Rotunda - which I used regularly in the 70s. It's well worth a watch and many thanks to Mace Ardhive for their work.

With all the content the film will provoke a lot of comment. My question is - I did not realise that BR advertised their trains by the symbol - you will see signs directing passengers to their train with '1Z70' recorded alonside the platform, destination and time.
Old 1st August 2012, 13:03

Excellent piece of archive.Very nostalgic.Watch and weep at the end.
Stuart.
Old 1st August 2012, 15:25

The footage of New Street and Snow Hill certainly took me back. Well done.
Old 1st August 2012, 16:13

The Last Train to Woodford Halse

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, we have over 350 views so far and we're so pleased you're enjoying the footage.

Emma Morley

Media Archive for Central England
Old 1st August 2012, 17:47

I have to admit that I really enjoyed the film, it was very interesting to listen to all of the people who were interviewed and taking part. The end bit brings a lump in the throat as it is very nostalgic.
I bet Mike as you being a Saltley man know what I mean

Thanks Emma

Alan
Old 1st August 2012, 19:44

Excellent and thank you for this.

The statement from the BR manager was very interestimg. I wonder how much of it was his own personal views?

Many BR managers were not happy with the Beeching plan, literally focusing the railway into three business zones, Inter City, bulk freight and commuter. Many other activities were potentially profitable if costs were cut. Fiennes realised this and saved the mid Suffolk line.

Interesting to speculate what would have survived with a more enlightened approach. The GC would have become HS2 perhaps? It was built for the job with its wide curves and near Berne guage clearances.
Old 7th August 2012, 08:08

Really enjoyed the video pitty they missed Tibshelf and Kirkby Bentink when they jumped from Heath to Hucknall Central.
Old 7th August 2012, 15:48

Very very interesting viewing. Enjoyed that. Sad to see the decline and in retrospect how I wish I had paid more attention to all those beautiful artifacts that went for sale! I noticed the Quorne and Woodhouse station on the Midlands line has not changed a bit! recognised it straight away.
I see you are in Lincoln. My old boyhood city from 1950's to 60's. It was good then.
All the best
Phil
Old 7th August 2012, 19:26

Excellent viewing, took me right back to.... well, further than I really want to think about!

Tags
birmingham, midlands, nottingham, snow hill, steam