23:14

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

So, what got you interested in railways?

Old 1st January 2009, 21:03
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
Adey’s recent post has helped me decide when my interest in railways started.

Instead of simply being a means of visiting relatives our regular train trips to Manchester took on a new meaning. Perhaps I shouldn’t say this but the journey became more exciting than actually visiting my Aunts and Uncles. Manchester was only 40 miles away but for a young lad with a newly found interest in trains it was a different World. I will always remember catching a brief glimpse of a Jubilee leaving Manchester Victoria with a train of carriages some of which had destination boards carrying the inscription London – Cologne. I had read about train ferries and was convinced that I had seen my first International train conveniently ignoring the fact that I was in the middle of Lancashire miles away from any North Sea port. It was a real disappointment when I eventually discovered that the destination boards actually read London - Colne.
Thanks for that John.

Visits to friends and relatives were always by train before we got a car in 1965, a chance to visit other areas and make unusual "cops". One of our regular trips from Birmingham was to see the Great Aunts in Newark, via Derby. Near always good for about half an hour on Derby Station, where we had to change.

Best wishes for 2009.

John H-T.

Old 1st January 2009, 21:26

We had relatives at Doncaster. I remember going by car, on what I assume was the A1, and seeing 60025 "Falcon" crossing the road on an overbridge.
I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I was about 8 or 9 at the time.
Happy days.
Paul.
Old 1st January 2009, 21:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghq View Post
I'm getting on a bit these days, but reflect fondly upon the footplate rides with my father, a driver, at Eastleigh, when I was a young lad. As his father was a locomotive driver pre 1900, I suppose it was hardly surprising that I became interested. Even more so when I was apprenticed at the same sheds as a locomotive fitter working on Lord Nelsons,King Arthurs, T9s, Drummond Tanks and various standards. I still have an interest from afar, even though not having had any connection since going to sea at the completion of the apprenticeship.
Welcome to the forum GHQ.
I was in Mandurah 5 years ago. Absolutely beautiful. Perfect!.
Paul.
Old 1st January 2009, 22:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60159 View Post

My start was fairly inauspicious - I was frightened of steam engines!
It was exactly the same for me Mike. I can remember crying and running to my mum as a steam locomotive (probably a V1/V3) arrived at Hedon station to take us on a shopping trip to Hull. Even worse, my dad used to work at King George Dock in Hull as a fitter, and when he was on holiday, I used to go with him to pick up his wages. To get to the pay office, we had to cross the maze of railway lines that were between the dock and the main road...always full of WD's and shunters. I was still terrified, and got across the tracks as fast as I could. I've regretted those silly fears ever since!
Old 3rd January 2009, 21:40

I never really had a great interest in railways when I was young although the Glasgow Underground always fascinated me and I had a lifelong ambition fulfilled a couple of years ago when I got to ride in the drivers cab round the outer circle. While this may not be the most adventurous trip ever it was for me 15 minutes of pleasure.
As the years passed my interest in railways became greater and I suppose stemming from being an engineer the long straight rail lines and the uniformity of it all drew me to the wonder of it all.
Old 16th January 2009, 11:43

Having the RH&DR at the bottom of the garden didn't help
Old 24th January 2009, 10:20

I live about 200 metres from the cambrian coast line, and as I was growing up I'd watch 37s racing by on lengthy passenger trains and heavy ballast trains.

I got older and my dad started taking me out on 37s from Crewe to Chester, and 33s/37s to Cardiff. I was well and truly hooked then. Spent most of my childhood travelling behind 37s and 47s and spent many a day at Newport watching 37s and 56s screaming by. Then everything got modernised, and I found myself watching all the traction I grew up to know and love, dissappearing, so turned to photography and chasing down the remaining heritage traction. Now I can't seem to part myself from my camera, and I'll be on railway bridges or up rock faces most weekends. Beer and Girls can wait, for now
Old 24th January 2009, 14:47
Station Manager

Hello David (SalopianGrowler) and welcome to the Railway Forum. Hope you enjoy the sites gallery and add to it as well. Looking forward to seeing some of photos
Old 24th January 2009, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY011 View Post
Hello David (SalopianGrowler) and welcome to the Railway Forum. Hope you enjoy the sites gallery and add to it as well. Looking forward to seeing some of photos
Thank you for the warm welcome, I hope to be adding a few of my photos to the gallery very soon

Regards
David
Old 4th February 2009, 20:05

Strangely enough, it was insomnia.

I was born and raised here in Leicester. Railway memories include watching steam trains on the Great Central from the footpath between Thurcaston Rd and Birstall Station; the last train terminating at Belgrave Road Station (now a Sainsburys store!); Leicester London Road Station with a full glass roof and the blue Midland Pullmans.
That was it really - I didn't show much interest in the railways as a teenager.
I grew up and worked for a couple of years in London. Willesden Junction with its Freightliner depot was at the back of the house I shared with some mates!

Returning to Leicester in the late 70s I found myself living a few hundred yards away from Leicester London Rd Stn. One summer night, unable to sleep, I drifted down towards the station where the clanking noise of parcels vans being shunted attracted my interest. There I found a few 'spotters' who accepted me into their ranks straight away.

During the late 70s and into the 80s in Leicester we had Class 45s (and the popular double header on Sunday afternoons!) running the St Pancras - Sheffield services, Class 31s on the Norwich - Birmingham service and in the summer - double-headed 20s on the Skegness specials.
One exceptional regular working I do remember was in the early hours of Saturday mornings when a Class 50 would arrive (light), refuel at the depot and take parcels vans back to Birmingham (Lawlor Street?) parcels depot.
This was also the age of the 'Merrymaker' and affordable RailRover tickets - that was how we got around then! Sadly, I had to leave the hobby in the mid 80s when lifestyle and job demands changed.

So here I am now in 2009 - returned to the hobby and making plans already to do at least a Heart of England + an East Midlands Rover before the summer is out.

Last edited by John Hunt; 4th February 2009 at 22:07.