22:13

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Units taken out of service due to vandalism

Old 16th May 2008, 11:54

Units taken out of service due to vandalism

From NR site:

Following the Rangers game in Manchester:

2309 Manchester Picc - Chester is cancelled after units 142061 & 142026 were vandalised, the guard has left the train and the driver alighted via the window as football fans would not let him leave by the door. Train cancelled.

0045 NR Northern Trains inform 323235 has had a door badly damaged by passengers at Manchester Piccadilly (working additional service 2T11 2340 Manchester Picc - Manchester Airport), unit taken out of service. 142014 various windows smashed at Manchester Piccadilly station - taken out of service.

Last edited by hstudent; 16th May 2008 at 12:52.
Old 16th May 2008, 13:26

How dare they damage 142's but it would seem that 142 014 is back in Service as it is stabled in Lime St today.
Old 16th May 2008, 13:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_142 View Post
How dare they damage 142's but it would seem that 142 014 is back in Service as it is stabled in Lime St today.
They probably thought they were old out-of-service units that had been brought back in to service due to the football match.

Yesterday I noticed the 15:24 Manchester to Chester service and the 17:05 Chester to Manchester service was run by a 156, rather than a 142 as usual.
Old 16th May 2008, 13:50

They may have swoped it to a 156 becuase they may have seen someone that likes 142's or some one who looks abit like me as you know they usually do this trick to upset me.
Old 16th May 2008, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstudent View Post
They probably thought they were old out-of-service units that had been brought back in to service due to the football match.
Whether they thought the units where out of use or not, there's no excuse for vandalism.
Old 16th May 2008, 15:10

Especially not where 142's are concerned Why could they not left 156's to be vandalised.

Northern probably left those poor 142's intentionlay to save there presious 156's getting dammaged.

I notice the new Merseyrail Station Poster Time Tables feture a nice Color Photo of 156 490 Wonder if i send them a phot of a 142 they would use it for the winter time table posters .
Old 16th May 2008, 21:46

I passed through Manchester Piccadilly yesterday on my way to Altrincham and it was a disaster area.
The station was awash with fag ends, vomit and broken glass.
If you are a so-called football fan you can break every rule in the book and the railways will still lay on extra trains for you but try innocently taking photos of trains and see what happens.....................
Old 17th May 2008, 13:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
I passed through Manchester Piccadilly yesterday on my way to Altrincham and it was a disaster area.
If you are a so-called football fan you can break every rule in the book and the railways will still lay on extra trains for you but try innocently taking photos of trains and see what happens.....................

Next time I get asked to stop taking photographs, I will just tell them I'm a football fan, despite hating the game now.
Old 17th May 2008, 21:46

Quote:
That is an extremely good point John.

And with Hull City having a good chance of going into the premiership next season, I guess I can look forward to seeing similar scenes in the centre of Hull.

Edit: Just realised....sorry I mentioned it Ian!
Old 19th May 2008, 11:20

Quote:
The problem is if they didn't lay on extra train carriages then it's likely it would be the non-football fans who would get left on the platform as the football fans would force their way on to the trains and then they would be too crowded for everyone to get on.