10:09

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Light Rail and Metros

Level crossing on the Central Line....shock! (pun intended)

Old 20th September 2010, 22:47

Fthr update - the LEVEL CROSSING is back!!

Meanwhile as part of the restoration, North Weald’s Up platform has recently been completed! This structure encompasses the original 4 coach platform, as well as extensions to the east and west, to enable us to run longer trains. All the extension pieces have been carefully moulded to match the original, and finished off with period lamp posts in LNER green. This week the final surface has been laid, topping off this project. In addition at the east end, the level crossing gates from Chitt’s Hill (the last manual operated gates on the Norwich line) have been installed. These are placed on the site of North Weald’s original level crossing which was closed in 1968, and are part of the works to improve footpath user safety and comfort and enable disabled access to the Up platform.

Up Platform and Level Crossing nearing completion at North Weald

See website for latest pix http://eorailway.co.uk/news/

Old 26th December 2010, 13:44

3rd rail on Southern Region.

While the Underground uses such a 4 rail system for DC power return, I wonder how this is achieved on the Southern Region and tram systems.

Trams and these trains do not have a shoe on the running rails so I cannot understand how the earth return is achieved in these cases.

Heavy currents cannot be passed through the running wheel axle roller bearings with their grease etc.
Old 26th December 2010, 19:21

I would imagine that the power is fed via contact with the running wheels themselves straight to the power circuits for the traction motors. They would have to keep the bogie insulated from all that juice.
Old 27th December 2010, 16:06

On 'third rail' traction supply, return current passes through one or both of the running lines (which also have the 'track circuit block' signalling current running through one or both of the running lines). And it's the same for the OHLE catenary (except that at some stage it is then taken away through 'red bonds', boosted by transformers, and fed along overhead return cables).

In some areas on the mainline where there are traction problems you will see an additional rail in the 'four foot'. Unlike the Underground this doesn't make contact with the train, but is used as additional conductor. One place I can think of where this happens is at Farringdon where there are AC return currents, DC return currents, track circuits, and just to add to the craziness the ground is usually waterlogged.

Hope this helps. I've kept it as brief as I can. It can get very complicated, this "Electrickery" stuff.

Flying Pig (the EMU jockey).
Old 5th April 2011, 16:48

It is many years ago when I worked on the Southern Region. As far as I can recall all emu units were bus lined thoughout the unit, with a pick up shoe at the either side at the ends of each unit. When working with more than one unit they oftern gerked badly when they were gapped as one unit was sometimes gapped whilst the othere still had power. I think that some 2 car inits such as the HAL's were Power Bus Lined between units. Also was the 5 BEL Units and 6 CORs on the Brighton line Maybe someone with a better memory can advise me.
Old 5th April 2011, 19:05

Yes indeed. With the exception of class 313s, all modern mainline EMUs have a traction current bus. Class 313s are subject to Northern City Line regs which forbid a unit traction bus (whilst on DC).

But they don't pass traction current between units nowadays. Unit jumpers don't carry traction current !!

Also the 37* series emus have a pickup shoe at each corner of each driving motor (ie, 4 per vehicle), which helps reduce gapping/arcing.

And all 3rd rail units jerk and arc like crazy in the snow - same as they ever did.

Best wishes,
FP
Old 25th August 2011, 19:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
James,
As you pointed out in your initial post, level crossings are rare on the surface lines of the London Underground system.l.
............ and even rarer in the tunnel sections.

I used to travel to New Milton from Waterloo as part of my commute and after leaving the built up area there is very nearly a level crossing at every station including near me at Brockenhurst and Christchurch.

Christchurch level crossing crosses a very busy, and pedestrian only, high street, I believe.

No trouble with conductor rails; the level crossing usually has a large expanse of cattle grid like woodwork between the edge of the road and the conductor rail.
Old 20th October 2011, 22:55

Fthr developments at the site of the newest level crossing on the old Central Line is this old GER footbridge being lifted into place.

http://eorailway.co.uk/departments/diary/ - see photo on my gallery.
Old 27th October 2011, 12:48

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by klordger1900 View Post
Fthr developments at the site of the newest level crossing on the old Central Line is this old GER footbridge being lifted into place.

http://eorailway.co.uk/departments/diary/ - see photo on my gallery.
klordger1900 - Many thanks for alerting members to the updates on our website, and all the good work which is being undertaken by our teams down at the railway. Particularly while the railway is closed to the public, I like to keep the website up to date with all the latest news and developments. You can also follow us on Twitter or Facebook.

The GER footbridge was rescued from further down the Central line at Woodford, and we are very grateful to ORPS for donating it for re-use at North Weald, and it looks very fitting within this period setting. It has been completely sand-blasted, painted and lifted in, but the stairs are in a bad way, and we hope to have the funds to look at these after we are once again running passenger trains.

The farm crossing at North Weald was indeed closed in 1968 (with LT obtaining the farmer an alternative route), but we have put in Chitt's Hill gates (donated by Network Rail) as a decorative feature. The juice rail ramps were still in place beside the trespass guards up to quite recently and in the future we may look at putting in a small length of juice rail as a decorative piece and for filming works somewhere along the picturesque branch.

(I hasten to add that there are NO plans to re-electrify the line on ORR / legal, cost, safety and security grounds.)

Thanks for your support, Simon, GM, EOR
Old 27th October 2011, 19:45

Well done Simon - keep up the good work!