08:00

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Light Rail and Metros

Tram vs. Train

Old 12th August 2008, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstudent View Post
The only reason tram-trains are being considered is due to congestion around Stockport. They would allow 'trains' from Chester and Northwich to go directly in to Manchester shortening the overall journey time and reducing congestion.
Maybe I switched realities, but didn't trains avoid Stockport before Metrolink came along!!!!

Well done for making it past that today!
Old 13th August 2008, 18:49

There are various types of Tram-Trains in operation around the World and as a rule they have to be strong enough to withstand a collision with a "real" train (heavy rail).
As they are only likely to come into contact with road vehicles, conventional trams do not have to be built to such high standards so I am assuming that they would not be allowed to share the tracks with Tram-Trains. Therefore, unless Metrolink were willing to upgrade their entire fleet of conventional trams, I cannot see how Tram-Trains could be used on the system.
As has been suggested by others I think the best solution would be to upgrade the facilities available on the conventional trams rather than introducing Tram-Trains. Better interchange stations are required together with a thorough overhaul of the ticketing system.
Old 13th August 2008, 19:37

Hopefully that will happen if the Anti-congestion charging lobby don't get their somewhat selfish way. (Unified smart-card ticketing, new trams, new routes etc.)

I think the Tram-Train thing is pure rumor or misconjecture since I've never heard a single mention of Tram-Trains running on Metrolink, ever, before this thread.
Old 13th August 2008, 21:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbyteacup View Post
Hopefully that will happen if the Anti-congestion charging lobby don't get their somewhat selfish way. (Unified smart-card ticketing, new trams, new routes etc.)
There are many issues in this country which deserve to be put to the vote but Manchester's congestion charge isn't one of them.
Far too many people have an unhealthy love affair with their cars to vote sensibly
Old 7th December 2009, 20:24

Trams in london Wimbledoen are good love them to pieces
Old 7th December 2009, 21:22

Dear Swisstrains,
When they manage to invent a form of mass public transport which has the flexibility of the car to get you from A to B in the quickest time and able to do multiple journeys during the days work - then people will think about it. Until then, the car reigns supreme.
Old 7th December 2009, 22:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Dear Swisstrains,
When they manage to invent a form of mass public transport which has the flexibility of the car to get you from A to B in the quickest time and able to do multiple journeys during the days work - then people will think about it. Until then, the car reigns supreme.
That's exactly the kind of comment I would expect from someone who has yet to be convinced by the "recycling lobby" and "tree huggers" (your own words from a previous thread)
It's about time that motorists realised that personal convenience will sometimes have to be sacrificed for the good of the majority.
Old 7th December 2009, 22:55

I agree with you on that one John.

I work two days a week part time 9 miles away from home and i sold my car last year because people rely on them to much. The station is half a mile away i have a good bus service on nice days i either ride my pushbike or motorbike and i do not miss the car at all.
I have been to Plymouth today by rail no stress no bridge toll or parking a good day out Dinner in a pub a couple of pints and a double whiskey so i couldnt drive home anyway.

ccmmick.

Old 8th December 2009, 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
It's about time that motorists realised that personal convenience will sometimes have to be sacrificed for the good of the majority.
It's more to the point that government, local councils and managers employed in public transport need to realise that most people are not sympathetic at having to stand in the pouring rain for 45 minutes waiting for a bus (like I did yesterday), and that train fares are too expensive to make railway travel a viable option. I'm reasonably happy using the bus for local travel (being of pensionable age I have a 'free' bus pass), but until things change, like most people I will continue to enjoy the convenience and lower cost of a motor car for longer journeys.

Chris
Old 9th December 2009, 12:43

There is the Metro from Birmingham to Wolverhampton near us. As yet there has been no expansion from the 1st line though it is in the "pipeline". I often think that reopening as a heavy railway would have given an extra corridor between Birmingham and Wolvohampton and not taken a platform from Snow Hill.
Richard.