02:28

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Law Freight Terminal, Lanarkshire

Old 5th January 2011, 08:12

Law Freight Terminal, Lanarkshire

Hi,

I hope someone can help me with the below.

I have just purchased a new house in Law, Lanarkshire and the rear of my house backs onto Law Freight Terminal.

It looks as though it is no longer used and the Dept for Transport and my local council have been unable to find out any details on it.

The only thing they could tell me was that the last owner of it was Scottish Express.

Does anyone know whether this is still used and how frequently?

Thanks
Dave

Old 5th January 2011, 09:23

I think Scottish Express was a freight forwarder that was taken over (I think by a firm called AEI) which in turn became part of DHL, which is now owned by the Deutsche Post Group. You could try asking DP/DHL if they have ever owned the terminal, whether they still do so and what their plans are for it. While not exactly the right department, you could start off from the investor relations section of the DP website: http://www.dp-dhl.com/en/investors.html
Old 5th January 2011, 09:41

Thanks, this is really useful. I will contact them and find out more information.

Thanks for the prompt response!

Cheers
Dave
Old 5th January 2011, 12:06

Hi,

Contacted DP-DHL and they have advised that the only depot they have in Lanarkshire is in Motherwell.

They have nothing that indicates that they are the owner of Law Freight Terminal.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Dave
Old 5th January 2011, 12:33

Hello Dave

Mrs Flying Pig (who 'does conveyancing' when she's not at home badgering me) tells me that the Land Registry are the people who know about who owns what in England. Passing their palms with silver usually gets them to reveal all - and should also reveal what planning applications may be pending (if they're gonna build an airport it might be handy to know !).

Dunno if it's the same in Scotland though, their Legal system is usually considerably better than ours I hear.

Hope this helps.

FP

Last edited by Flying Pig; 5th January 2011 at 12:36.
Old 5th January 2011, 12:55

<<Contacted DP-DHL and they have advised that the only depot they have in Lanarkshire is in Motherwell. They have nothing that indicates that they are the owner of Law Freight Terminal. >>

It could be that either my information is wrong or that it had already been sold on by the time DHL took over AEI. I do have a couple of contacts in the Scottish freight industry - I will ask if they know anything. Other than that, the Land Registry route right be the way to go as suggested.
Old 5th January 2011, 13:20

In the 1985 OPC Rail Atlas, there are sidings (at Law junction), these are listed as Law Junction Cory Distribution Depot, and the same sidings are listed as Law Junction Isis Link Depot in the 1990 edition; the sidings are located on the west side of the main Carlisle to Glasgow Central line just north of Carluke, and immediately south of Law junction. Is this the location you're referring to?
Old 5th January 2011, 13:39

Hi Dave,

That's correct... they're on the west side of the main rail.

Cheers
Dave
Old 5th January 2011, 15:59

Just had a look on Flashearth, is this it ?

here.....http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=55.75....7&r=0&src=msl

FP

Last edited by Flying Pig; 5th January 2011 at 16:06. Reason: just seen a better posibility
Old 5th January 2011, 16:05

In the 2007 edition of the atlas they're shown as "Law Junc. Distribution Depot-Road & Rail Services".

Anyone got an up to date Quail Map?

Regards, 62440.