10:27

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Your layout

Old 14th January 2010, 22:55

Your layout

since finding this site I notice lots of you have model railways.
The question is how do you operate yours.Is it strickly a model or do you actually have a operating system

Old 15th January 2010, 09:41

Hi.

The answer, in my opinion is do what you like to do!! Some operators love running the layout as a real railway, in Model Rail there were some articles on Llandudno (hope thats spelt right!) junction. It listed a 24hr real time timetable performed in about eight hours. About four operators would meet for a day to run it right through, something that is quite common in the USA I think. That doesn't appeal to me though.

I like building models as much as I like running them and my layout(s) are more like working dioramas but I do operate a sequence on my mainline layout, but watching the trains go by is best I think!!
Old 4th February 2010, 07:57

When I finish off my layout i'm considering making some could of system for my line. I love just watching the trains go round the layout but adding some kind of timetable to it makes it more interesting and more like a proper railway.
Old 10th April 2010, 23:33

i dont bother with timetables... yet. At the moment i only run the odd Permanant way train to test my track layout and ballast etc, but when i start exibiting my layout i will probably start using a timetable of some sort.
Old 12th April 2010, 21:53

i dont worry about timetables on my layout too, i just run them how i like and at what ever speed (to a certian point).

i belong to a club and there is a guy there who really pisses me off and runs his locos to scale speed(understandable) to a timetable.
e.g say a loco takes 5 mins to reach 100mph, he will run his train to scale 5mins to reach 100mph in scale speed

your layout you run it how you like and what you think is bestfor it?

Abellio Greater Anglia (Ilford Depot)