15:45

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

G'day

Old 30th July 2006, 09:07

G'day

Hi there fellow train buffs or should I use our proper title Trainspotters!!

I am located in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, in Tasmania we have a 3'6" gauge system statewide, there are a couple of tourist 2' Guage systems and also some private narrow gauge systems mainly associated with the Underground mining industry on the West Coast.

I have always had an instresting in Railways which really come to life in 1990 when the Derwent Valley Railway Preservation Socitey charted a local restored train for suburban trips though Hobart suburbs, at the time the Rollingstock was on the Market as the operators could not afford to keep it.

I traveled on the train on this day and thought to my self "the state can not afford to loose this serious tourist assett" so I become a member of DVRPS the following week. We managed to secure the purchase of the train.

I have been involved in many restoration and operations tasks at DVRPS and I quite enjoy it, especialy on a cold morning bringing a Steam loco to life!!

In Tasmania the only passenger trains we have are the tourist ones and we have to compete for access to the main line with the Frieght trains which get priority. I travel the southern reaches of the mainline photgraphig the operations, mainly frieght but do get the odd Tourist train.

I hope you enjoy my pictures and thank you for viewing them, I have just tried posting them on another site and the first 3 I posted were rejected so I have gone else where and hope I will get a better reception here.

Cheers

Glenn
Hobart, Tasmania
Australia

Old 30th July 2006, 09:22

Welcome to the forum Glenn.
Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelgels
Hi there fellow train buffs or should I use our proper title Trainspotters!!
I for one prefer "train buff"........trainspotters are generally the ones who keep a record of each loco they see and mark it off in a book.

John.